Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen windscreen washers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve managed to finally get hold of some screen-wash yesterday, every services I tried in East Anglia seemed to be out of stock this week and last.

Anyhow got a few cans of some -35 below yellow stuff from Euro Car Parts. Yes it looks like pjss 😅

Only to find that I can’t get it in there as my frunk release refuses to cooperate. Ah Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: AndyWarrington
that's not how dilutions work
@khyros
freezing-point-of-water-tabel.png

Rated for -4, air temp of -2, wind chill factor of 70mph, they are gonna freeze.

As above you either had a summer mix / water in the pipes / jets and it froze or what you put in wasn’t good enough and it froze.

When I swap from summer to winter tyres I also change my washer fluid to a -20 rated fluid from Halfords. (Which I dilute as required but never to less than -10 in winter. Never had an issue in any car

"wind chill"?

Not that I ever believed in it, but isn't windchill the effect of blowing the boundary layer of warm air away from your body, thereby making it feel colder?

I mean Wind can't lower a temperature ... unless it's a wind blowing in colder air, in which case the air will actually be colder

"wind chill"?

Not that I ever believed in it, but isn't windchill the effect of blowing the boundary layer of warm air away from your body, thereby making it feel colder?

I mean Wind can't lower a temperature ... unless it's a wind blowing in colder air, in which case the air will actually be colder
I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe it can lower the temp of a liquid due to evaporation. But it shouldn't matter for liquid contained in a container or hose.

I thought that Wind Chill was part of Competitive Weather Reporting on various TV stations

I mean which station are you going to watch? The one with the most extreme numbers right

But they can't just lie and make stuff up, so they have to come up with a system that allows them to lie, but not actually lie at the same time ... and thus Wind Chill(tm) and Heat Index(tm) were born

Reactions: CWT3LR
Rated for -4, air temp of -2, wind chill factor of 70mph, they are gonna freeze.

As above you either had a summer mix / water in the pipes / jets and it froze or what you put in wasn’t good enough and it froze.

When I swap from summer to winter tyres I also change my washer fluid to a -20 rated fluid from Halfords. (Which I dilute as required but never to less than -10 in winter. Never had an issue in any car
Wind chill doesn’t work like that.
Doesn’t matter how much wind you have, if the temperature is -2 the pipes will never get colder than -2 no matter how much wind there is. They might get there quicker, but that’s it.
Wind chill is only “a thing” when you’re considering bodies which are of generating their own heat (like the human body), where the presence of wind will dissipate that heat more quickly.

Reactions: duncans
I've had a few frustrations on the last few drives to work! Yep, it's consistently cold everywhere right now (although I've driven a Tesla in -10 before....), but since the recent autopilot changes my Tesla is determined to put the bloody windscreen wipers on whenever a passing lorry blows grit onto the windscreen, and I hear the horrifying screech of the wipers scraping at the dry windscreen. Holding down on the spray button does nothing, because the blooming things are frozen solid, and I have to spend about a minute gritting my teeth and on the verge of tears until the car decides it is time to stop torturing the wiper blades!

I'm using cheapo windscreen washer fluid at the moment, a hand-me-down from my dead dad :D I guess I need the premium stuff. I'll try pouring some warm water on the nozzles tomorrow morning before I do my commute....

Mine is just tesco special stuff and it hasn't frozen yet..

The door handles, however.. grr..

Try going into the app and selecting 'Defrost Car' within the climate settings. That should blow hot air through the handles. Just turning the climate on (like I do) isn't enough to defrost the handles if you are unlucky enough to have them freeze.

My handles don't freeze when I'm parked on my driveway, but they do if I'm parked at work and there's moisture in the air.

I guess I need the premium stuff. I'll try pouring some warm water on the nozzles tomorrow morning before I do my commute....
Beware! Not at these really low temperatures. You will risk cracking the windscreen if warm water makes contact. Try some neat antifreeze or even water from the cold tap but not warm. (You may get away with it but it’s a real risk. )

I've seen people pour the content of kettles onto their windows.. how the windscreens survive I've no idea.- I guess they're built with better tolerances these days.

I'm not sure that even works - phase change takes a lot of energy.. it takes 333J to convert 1g of ice to 1g of water and about 4J for a 1 degree change, so my (admittedly high school) physics says you aren't melting anything with a bit of warm water.

It’s all dumb luck, a tiny flaw in the glass is just asking it to crack.

We are not talking about a manufacturing flaw either, screens are pummelled with grit, stones etc. every day. Look at your screen under a magnifying glass and you’ll see all the flaws very clearly.