TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frozen Windshield Wiper Fluid

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bart513, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bart513

bart513 Member

Has anyone had problems with the window washer fluid freezing up and then not working in really cold weather. Today I was taking advantage of 43 degree weather to wash the car and it worked perfectly. When it was 18 degrees and probably 23 degrees it wasn't working. Maybe I need to put in an antifreeze soln?

2. skdave

skdave Member

Maybe??

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Drain out the existing fluid and put in some of the good stuff. What comes OE is closer to coloured water than it is to washer fluid.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah the OE stuff they put in the Roadster is basically water. I heard from service that they had to unplug a bunch of Roadsters on their first winter in Canada. I was clever enough (for once) to realize it was junk and replaced it before it got cold, so they didn't have to fix mine.

5. caddieo

caddieo Member

Check the labels. Some types of washer fluid are made specifically for winter. I had a similar problem once when I filled up with washer fluid here in Florida and then drove to Chicago in the middle of winter. Fortunately there was a thaw the following day and I was able to replace the fluid with one designed for winter.

6. bart513

bart513 Member

How does one drain the fluid from the tank?

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Add a couple ounces of 91 Isopropyl Alcohol. Works like a charm. Also will not freeze on the window either

- - - Updated - - -

Add a couple ounces of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Works like a charm. Also will not freeze on the window either

- - - Updated - - -

Add a couple ounces of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Works like a charm. Also will not freeze on the window either

8. bart513

bart513 Member

Sounds nice and easy!

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Same here...I had a big chunk of ice in the reservoir when my Roadster was delivered in Dec 2010...I used a small siphon pump that worked off of an electric drill to drain the reservoir and refilled with the RainX wiper fluid...

10. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

I discovered another potential problem when I bought my 2010 CPO Roadster (it had barely over 1000 miles); the first time I tried to use the windshield washers, almost nothing came out. It had been used so seldom (if ever), that the washer pump was clogged with bacterial/fungal growth. My advice would be to use the washers from time to time even if you don't need to, to keep the pump working, and to change out the fluid once in a while to prevent problems. (Does anyone know of a washer fluid with anti-bacterial/fungal additives? I couldn't find any.)

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If you drive your car regularly I doubt you're going to have problems. Probably the previous owner lived in a desert and only drove it on nice days.

12. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

I had the same problem with bacterial/fungal growth clogging the pump and lines. I siphoned out the tank and Tesla flushed the lines to clear them. Another reason to use real wiper fluid instead of the coloured water crap. You can also pour a small amount of bleach into the tank to prevent it from happening again.