Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Auto Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the video of the guy changing the Gas Spring Shocks to make the frunk open automatically. I tried it and it opened the frunk really fast and that scared me. Also displaced the frunk a bit so the right side was higher than the left. Sooooo i experimented with a few different product and these shocks were better and i only changed out the front left one. the frunk pops open now and then slowly lifts automatically. Here is when i bought on Amazon.

2 x Bonnet Hood Lift Support Struts Gas Spring Shock for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005-2010
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3CRXDV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone tried to replace the struts on the rear trunk???

After all, having the Model 3’s hood open all the way while the car is cruising on the road would be quite dangerous. As shown in a brief experiment by the DIY enthusiast in a later video, such a scenario will be unlikely, as the Model 3 prevents the hood from opening fully if it gets unlocked from the frunk when the car is moving.

The key word is unlikely.

But I'd do that for the trunk no questions asked.

Reactions: Doves27
I bought the shock below per a youtube video from a popular Tesla poster and they were WAAAAY to powerful for a Model 3 hood. It could even be the same post the OP is referring to. It was almost impossible to close the hood AND they deflected the hood 1/4" near the hinges when closed - I am convinced they would have bent my hood permanently. I wish I had read this post first and I will try the ones recommended here. I recommend AVOIDING these for the hood:
StrongArm 6304 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hood Lift Support, Pack of 1

I bought the shock below per a youtube video from a popular Tesla poster and they were WAAAAY too powerful for a Model 3 hood. It could even be the same post the OP is referring to. It was almost impossible to close the hood AND they deflected the hood 1/4" near the hinges when closed - I am convinced they would have bent my hood permanently. I wish I had read this post first and I will try the ones recommended here. I recommend AVOIDING these for the hood:
StrongArm 4129 Universal 13.00" Ext. 155 Extended Length Lift Support

Saw the video of the guy changing the Gas Spring Shocks to make the frunk open automatically. I tried it and it opened the frunk really fast and that scared me. Also displaced the frunk a bit so the right side was higher than the left. Sooooo i experimented with a few different product and these shocks were better and i only changed out the front left one. the frunk pops open now and then slowly lifts automatically. Here is when i bought on Amazon.

2 x Bonnet Hood Lift Support Struts Gas Spring Shock for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005-2010
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3CRXDV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone tried to replace the struts on the rear trunk???

I installed the rear trunk electronic struts.

Not bad.

I did it over 3 days. About 1.5 hours per day.