Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk auto open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the mod suggested by Brian Jenkins on Teslarati, i.e. swap frunk hood pistons and latch spring. It took all of seven minutes to complete, very easy. Problem, frunk will not open from touch screen, but will with fob. Since this is a simple mechanical component swap, that glitch doesn't make sense. Wondering if anybody else has done this, with similar results. I like the auto open feature. Like the rear hatch, I don't understand why Tesla didn't incorporate it to begin with.

I did the mod suggested by Brian Jenkins on Teslarati, i.e. swap frunk hood pistons and latch spring. It took all of seven minutes to complete, very easy. Problem, frunk will not open from touch screen, but will with fob. Since this is a simple mechanical component swap, that glitch doesn't make sense. Wondering if anybody else has done this, with similar results. I like the auto open feature. Like the rear hatch, I don't understand why Tesla didn't incorporate it to begin with.

My first guess is that the car thinks the trunk is already open so it disables the frunk button on the screen. I would start by double checking the latch spring portion of your mod to make sure you did not mess up whatever mechanism the car uses to determine if the frunk is open/closed.

where can i purchase the parts to do so?
Here's the link to Brian's video. The swap took all of seven minutes. I just have to figure out why it's not being activated by the touch screen. The replacement latch spring has far less tension (makes it easy to close, now) I'm thinking that's the problem. I sent a note to Brian. Have not heard back.

My first guess is that the car thinks the trunk is already open so it disables the frunk button on the screen. I would start by double checking the latch spring portion of your mod to make sure you did not mess up whatever mechanism the car uses to determine if the frunk is open/closed.
I put the OEM spring back, no change, ditto struts, no change. Something else is going on, although it started with the initial swap. I'll call service center for advice. Lost a screwdriver down in the bowels.
Thanks for your feedback.

Here's the link to Brian's video. The swap took all of seven minutes. I just have to figure out why it's not being activated by the touch screen. The replacement latch spring has far less tension (makes it easy to close, now) I'm thinking that's the problem. I sent a note to Brian. Have not heard back.
I think I forgot to show the link. Sorry.
Tesla Model X owner showcases DIY automatic lifting frunk

Reinstalled the OEM struts and spring thinking that was the problem. No change. There's another thread on here that identifies a defective actuator. Since mine opens with fob, that's not the problem. Will have to bring it to SC or call mobile service after the holidays.