Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frunk badly stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More worried about kids putting themselves or pets into the frunk. And the system cant even recognize the condition.

Shouldn't need the jaws of life in a non-collision corner case, no matter how rare it may be.
There is a frunk release button in the frunk, which probably doesn't work in your case with the type of failure you have. Kids won't be able to close the frunk on themselves, somebody would have to close it on them from the outside.

It's unreasonable to expect a mechanical or electronic device to never have any failures.

There is a frunk release button in the frunk, which probably doesn't work in your case with the type of failure you have. Kids won't be able to close the frunk on themselves, somebody would have to close it on them from the outside.

It's unreasonable to expect a mechanical or electronic device to never have any failures.
I guess my imagination is just more creative in 1,000 ways it could go wrong since I've had the failure happen to me.

1 fix... mechanical release mechanism reachable from inside the cabin like 99% of every other car/truck produced. It's an oversight, with the only real justification being production cost savings over safety.

A couple weeks ago I went to open my frunk (Model Y LR 2021, ~30k miles) and it wouldnt open at all... no noise, no movement, no nothing. The last successful time I'd tried to open it was in February just before a trip. Worked fine. The next time I'd tried was in late March

Tried from the screen, tried from the phone app... tried a double button reboot... nothing.

Both screen and app show an animation of the frunk opening, and then immediately closing.

Car is still under warranty, so scheduled mobile service out to the house. He tried for 4+ hours to open it, and even tried the long tool with wheel well off... no dice.

He told me I'd need to take it in to a service center. Took it in on Tuesday (4/4) and was originally told it would be ready the next day (4/5)... then I got a message update that it would take 2 more days (4/7)... then yesterday was told they'd need to keep it for diagnostics until Tuesday (4/11).

I think its ridiculous that the car doesnt have a mechanical release mechanism in the cabin... definitely not safe if someone/or a pet got stuck inside and couldnt figure out how to do the internal release mechanism.
Good luck, keep us posted

I guess my imagination is just more creative in 1,000 ways it could go wrong since I've had the failure happen to me.

1 fix... mechanical release mechanism reachable from inside the cabin like 99% of every other car/truck produced. It's an oversight, with the only real justification being production cost savings over safety.
I understand wanting an alternative way to open the frunk in case of failure. My frunk secondary latch failed on my Model 3 in August 2018 and a Tesla mobile technician opened it in my garage and replaced the actuator (took him less than an hour). It's been 4.5 years and 108,000 miles since then, and I don't expect that issue to pop up again.

Yours is the first situation I've read about where the trunk doesn't pop up at all. In my failure and all the ones I've read about the frunk pops up about an inch (primary latch disengages) but the secondary latch doesn't realize it the rest of the way. And these families were not too common, but tended to be more likely on the very early Model 3 made in 2018 or 2017. Tesla revised the actuators and assembly in 2018 to reduce the chance of this failure mode.

My point is that you can't guarantee 0 failures for anything, and even a manual release can fail to work. Model S and X have a manual release, but even that can fail (see here Frunk latch stuck).

I understand wanting an alternative way to open the frunk in case of failure. My frunk secondary latch failed on my Model 3 in August 2018 and a Tesla mobile technician opened it in my garage and replaced the actuator (took him less than an hour). It's been 4.5 years and 108,000 miles since then, and I don't expect that issue to pop up again.

Yours is the first situation I've read about where the trunk doesn't pop up at all. In my failure and all the ones I've read about the frunk pops up about an inch (primary latch disengages) but the secondary latch doesn't realize it the rest of the way. And these families were not too common, but tended to be more likely on the very early Model 3 made in 2018 or 2017. Tesla revised the actuators and assembly in 2018 to reduce the chance of this failure mode.

My point is that you can't guarantee 0 failures for anything, and even a manual release can fail to work. Model S and X have a manual release, but even that can fail (see here Frunk latch stuck).
Sounds like they need to redesign how they handle the hood release mechanism on all models, is how I interpret that response.

Sorry, not trying to be stubborn. The failure is not acceptable no matter how many "things fail" threads there are. Systemic failure = recall territory. It just takes a "someone was/could have been injured or died" scenario to elevate it.

Seems the model 3/Y has the bare minimum required seeing as the other models do have mechanical release mechansims... not something that should have corners cut IMHO.

Having a frunk issue on my 17 S75. The latch makes the audible sounds like its trying to release, but doesn't actually release. I tried it probably a hundred times and got it to open 2 times while pushing on the end of the hood. The MS has manual release cables if you pull some plastic shielding out from the wheel wells but my cables were either broken or seized up as I could not get them to open the hood. Pretty frustrating overall. I have had the car 6 years and its these little things that have killed my enjoyment. Multiple failed door handles, headlights, charge ports, and now a frunk latch. These are the things that should just work, for years, with out issues.

I see I didn't post the resolution to my issue: I ended up bringing the car to the nearest sizeable city end of Jan where they have a mobile technician who essentially lives there (Kelowna). He spent a few hours working on the car to get the front hood open (it wouldn't open at all, not even a tiny bit). He had to remove the aero diffuser underneath, take wheel off, and in general monkey around to get the special long tool inside to manually push the mechanism open. Turns out the cable that goes from the actuator to the frunk release mechanism had snapped off. Looks like a design flaw to me and I expect it will fail again after some amount of time/uses. It wouldn't be so annoying except you can't add windshield washer fluid without opening the frunk.

Also of note:
  • You can't just simply replace the cable like you can on a bike (e.g. brake or shifter cable), they replaced the actuator and the latch mechanism
  • They also replaced the striker assembly and the whole secondary actuator assembly! This annoyed me because
    • a) they didn't ask me
    • b) my car is out of warranty, so I had to pay for that extra work, even though it was seemingly unrelated to the original issue (this makes me doubly-grumpy because the last bit of work I paid for out of pocket was to replace the wiring harness on the trunk, which within a month afterwards was noted as a recall item! And they wouldn't reimburse me.)
I've spent more on maintaining stupid fiddly bits on this car than I did on regular preventative maintenance on my Subaru, which negates some of the cost savings of switching to electric. (Less moving parts is supposed to equal less maintenance.. unless you are talking about Tesla who unnecessarily reinvents things and uses customers to beta test. Can you tell the shine has worn off? I still like my car [mostly] and am happy I switched for enviro reasons... but would like Tesla to stop it with the "own goals" on silly design decisions).

I got my car back today, here's the diagnosis:

Concern: Customer states: Door Handles & Latches - Frunk wont open and no sound at all when the open button is pushed from the app.

Verified customer concern. Inspected wiring to the frunk latch actuator and found to be an open in the circuit near the intermediate connector to the actuator.

Performed terminal repair/replacement due to how close damage to the connector was.

Verified proper operation of the frunk after performing repair

Correction: Actuator - Latch - Hood - Primary (Remove & Replace) Parts Replaced or Added PartQuantity HOOD LATCH1.00

ACTUATOR AND CABLE ASSEMBLY. (1500398-00-H)

Correction: Low Voltage Circuit Integrity Check

Correction: General Diagnosis Correction: Hood Assembly (Remove & Install)

Correction: Wire - Electrical Harness (Does Not Include Access Labor) (Repair)

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Reactions: Adam3
I got my car back today, here's the diagnosis:

Concern: Customer states: Door Handles & Latches - Frunk wont open and no sound at all when the open button is pushed from the app.

Verified customer concern. Inspected wiring to the frunk latch actuator and found to be an open in the circuit near the intermediate connector to the actuator.

Performed terminal repair/replacement due to how close damage to the connector was.

Verified proper operation of the frunk after performing repair

Correction: Actuator - Latch - Hood - Primary (Remove & Replace) Parts Replaced or Added PartQuantity HOOD LATCH1.00

ACTUATOR AND CABLE ASSEMBLY. (1500398-00-H)

Correction: Low Voltage Circuit Integrity Check

Correction: General Diagnosis Correction: Hood Assembly (Remove & Install)

Correction: Wire - Electrical Harness (Does Not Include Access Labor) (Repair)

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Interesting, sounds like root cause for your issue was related to the wiring. Wonder how it was damaged? Unlike the trunk harness, there is no movement in that area that I could tell when I was working in there. Looks like they:
- manually opened the frunk
- found the open circuit
- fixed the end of the wire that the actuator plugs into
- replaced the primary actuator assembly (and maybe the latch too?)

Lucky you it was under warranty! My repair job was $588 CDN.