Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk/Bonnet Corrosion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed some paint bubbling on the inside of the bonnet around the latch? I've got an appointment booked with the SC for them to deal with it but wondered if anyone else has seen something similar, the corrosion is above and below the latch plate.
Tesla Frunk.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fellsteruk
I have it in the exact same spot but much worse. Photos attached. I bought mine from a third party dealer who is dealing with it. Mine is a December 2017 facelift, so I was pretty shocked to see it on a car this young.

Attachments

• 20190217_125717.jpg
    20190217_125717.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 167
  • 20190217_125713.jpg
    20190217_125713.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Informative
Tesla Bjorn, granted his car has done a good few miles but he's got paintwork bubbling on the spoiler and around the FWD override switches, looks pretty much like you guys and its really bad on a car a few years old :(

Maybe i should cover mine in a thick layer of waxoil :)

as these parts are aluminium it looks like some localised contamination was not cleaned off sufficiently prior to etch priming.
This is one thing that Tesla could genuinely be cited for poor quality, even if it is seemingly pretty rare.

I would get the panels fixed as quick as possible not because there is a risk of steel like rusting through to part failure, but once the paint is lifted the surface oxidation will continue to spread.

I should have put in my original message, mine is a November 2016 facelift, there is some bubbling below the latch plate as well. It does make you wonder what they will find underneath the latch plate.

My real worry was if this was a interaction between the steel and aluminium because the coating on the aluminium had failed. I had a Lotus Elise at one point that suffered from crevice corrosion that literally destroyed the floor in the car because at that point Lotus didn’t fully understand the issues with aluminium.

I should have put in my original message, mine is a November 2016 facelift, there is some bubbling below the latch plate as well. It does make you wonder what they will find underneath the latch plate.

My real worry was if this was a interaction between the steel and aluminium because the coating on the aluminium had failed. I had a Lotus Elise at one point that suffered from crevice corrosion that literally destroyed the floor in the car because at that point Lotus didn’t fully understand the issues with aluminium.
If that is the case, then the corrosion on mine has spread quite far. You can see the white (of the aluminium I assume) if you follow a line from the bottom right of the latch . If the aluminium coating has indeed failed, then is this repairable or will it need a new bonnet? Just asking so I know not to get fobbed off by Tesla.

If that is the case, then the corrosion on mine has spread quite far. You can see the white (of the aluminium I assume) if you follow a line from the bottom right of the latch . If the aluminium coating has indeed failed, then is this repairable or will it need a new bonnet? Just asking so I know not to get fobbed off by Tesla.

I can't answer that, but this was/is a common problem with Porsche impact bumpers (from the 1980s). They are aluminium too and the paint tends to bubble up around the edges and looks terrible. But it's only a cosmetic issue as far as I know. I suspect this is mostly a cosmetic issue too, but I don't really know for certain.

I've noticed some paint bubbling on the inside of the bonnet around the latch? I've got an appointment booked with the SC for them to deal with it but wondered if anyone else has seen something similar, the corrosion is above and below the latch plate.

Not just you folks in the Uk either. After seeing this I thought I would check mine, knowing I so thoroughly clean and dry my car even under the Bonnet, there is no way mine has this.

Sure enough just starting April 2016 build at the far edges of the latch plate.

Now this brings to mind, how many other places you cannot see its going to work on the paint or metal or aluminum?

Attachments

• IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 159

Well mine has been at the SC for 2 days so far getting fixed, there was no mention of a new bonnet, just it going to the Tesla approved body shop. Yours does look much worse than mine though - i am worried that if they just rub it down and respray it it may just reoccur in 12 to 18 months time. It would be interesting to remove the latch plate and see what it's like underneath (regretting not doing that before dropping it off at the SC now).

remove the latch plate
I was thinking the same, afraid of what I might find. My guess is the final paint does not get applied well in this area, perhaps a sharp edge related to the hood where the plate covers. Moisture remains there for quite some time and has now worked its way under the final paint.

If one removes the latch plate, they may void fixing it. Really I cannot believe they are fixing it at all. Love to hear more of the result.

Do you think they should be replacing the bonnet then? Or that we shouldn't be worrying about it?

I don't like it either. I'm surprised, because in the US, if its not on the outside visible everyday or a perforation due to corrosion, then its usually not addressed.

In this case though, its next to the latch. If left unchecked for years, perhaps the latch mount itself might fail and be a safety issue. If they ignored your request, at least here in the sue happy land U.S., it could be construed as negligent and leave Tesla vulnerable.

Also, it might be a very known thing and they fix them all? Every SC will handle it differently.

As far as the appearance of the surfaces on various cars, cosmetics, cleanliness or not, does not seem to matter to how fast these things degrade.

Its surely Alkaline/Acid, eating the aluminum. Rewetting constantly causing it to grow or move under the finish paint. Its back to the sharpe edge of aluminum under the latch that never got a good finish coat of paint in the first place perhaps. Love to see pics of it corrected.

Mine is showing zero signs but I was curious so I removed the latch and I suspect this is something we’ll all suffer.

Firstly they have painted over a paper label which is under the latch plate, second it appears the corrosion starts around the holes and works out

I’m no expert but it looks like the issue is where the nuts are wielded to the rear of the metal plate for the latch to attach too, I suspect the area isn’t preped for paint to a decent level :(

picture to help show what I mean

E74FD238-B4DE-44E0-862A-DBD550C8F663.jpeg 9EBC32AE-2D97-4FCA-A4CE-9825930E0E82.jpeg D8F9C7B0-3F09-48C7-AF3A-6D92A7FA9B09.jpeg

For reference this is on an early 2017 MX