Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk delivered dented

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my Model Y at the factory today. The process was pretty painless, but the car was absolutely filthy. It was covered in dirt and ash, so I couldn't really assess the paint. They're also doing this unstaffed delivery center thing now, so the only other people there are other customers picking up their cars: no Tesla employees.

So I checked panel gaps, which were good. And the interior is great. I thought the paint looked good, but it needed a wash to be sure. I didn't open the frunk at delivery because I know they're fragile and it was so dirty I didn't want to grind dirt into it when closing.

Unfortunately, after washing, I noticed a pretty big issue. The frunk is dented in the spot where the manual tells you to put your hands to close it. So I took some pictures, then opened it up. The latch looks fine, but it's nearly impossible to close. I had to leave it open for awhile while I searched online, and was eventually was able to use enough steady pressure to get it to latch.

It's not awful, but I'm pretty bummed. This has been an issue since 2012. I can't believe 8 years later this is still happening to people.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Do they need to replace the whole hood? Then the question is, will they?

Some pics attached. Other than this, I have a couple paint bubbles, a scratch on the black part of the rear bumper, and one wheel that was scratched when installing the tire. The rest looks great. Doors and lights are aligned.

Edit: added the other damage photos as well, if anyone is curious.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_2799.JPG
    IMG_2799.JPG
    629.3 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_2798.JPG
    IMG_2798.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    571.6 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_2805.JPG
    IMG_2805.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_2802.JPG
    IMG_2802.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Just make sure you submit a SC request and take/upload all pictures onto the app.

I went to the local SC to chat with the staff right after I got my MY. The manager said they've been getting a ton of MYs due to the quarter end rush so as long as it's documented they'll evaluate and try to fix. My appointment is in a week so fingers crossed.

Mine has a similar issue. Looks like the frunk was closed with something hard next to the latch. There’s a reverse dimple in the sheet metal and the frunk lip has a curve in it. I have an appointment scheduled for two weeks out.

Glad to see you at least have a Y now @Gizmotoy
I wasn't sure if it was going to happen. They were giving me a hard time about seeing it before paying, and at one point I had a Mach E picked out, but they relented. Unfortunately I still missed something pretty big, but generally I find the issues minor, my panel gaps are great, and loved my 20 miles of driving so far. It liked sitting next to its red Model S older brother.

I wasn't sure if it was going to happen. They were giving me a hard time about seeing it before paying, and at one point I had a Mach E picked out, but they relented. Unfortunately I still missed something pretty big, but generally I find the issues minor, my panel gaps are great, and loved my 20 miles of driving so far. It liked sitting next to its red Model S older brother.

Congrats on the new car. Sorry to hear that it's not as it should be. I would encourage you and other folks with issues to send them in writing in a certified letter to Elon at Tesla. For transparency, I am a shareholder and I have a reservation for a Model Y. While I do believe Tesla will eventually get on top of these issues, I think folks need to start bringing this to the attention of Elon's office.

This is not aimed at you, but people seem happy to vent on the the interwebs. If people really want to hold Tesla accountable, put it in writing and send it in a certified letter. Maybe if Elon gets enough mail flooding his office, then maybe the sooner he can kick some arses into gear and get these issues addressed. It truly is disheartening reading about what appears to be increasing issues and customer dissatisfaction.

See this thread also @Gizmotoy: PSA Frunk Dents Super Easy

Can you confirm that the 'dent' is still there or not after the frunk is released? I suspect that it is not.

My MY (delivered end of August) was also 'dented' like this (as in the post I linked). When I had Mobile service came to look at another issue, I had him adjust the frunk. It is still not perfectly un-dent, but better, and it has stayed as-is since. Meanwhiel, adjust the stoppers so at least the frunk would close. If this really bugs you, see what SC can do about this.

I'd check for you, but I'm not opening the frunk again until Tesla looks at it in a few weeks. It's really prominent. I know it's under pretty intense stress.

While I was washing it (I can't believe how dirty this thing was), a neighbor came over and was checking it out. "Is the hood supposed to look like that?" Ugh.

Took delivery of MYP on Sep 27th, I have the same issue. I didn't notice anything was off until a few days after I took delivery. There are two small dents on either side of the Tesla T logo. The left side dent is bigger and looks like it's moving towards the lip of the hood. The frunk is very hard to close, and it seems to make two distinct clicking noises when first opening. It's like it is getting caught and then unlatches a second time, there are two separate movements it makes when opening. Maybe this is normal? In addition, the hood seems to sit low on the left, and high on the right. I've tried adjusting the two rubber bits on the front, it did make it better... but it's still off. The adjustable bumper on the high side is now completely screwed in, while the low side is unscrewed to the point where it's about to fall off. The hood shows the same unlevelness when unlatched and cracked open.

Here is a video of the frunk opening. Is this normal?

I was able to schedule a service appointment 2-3 weeks out. I'll report back once I hear from them!

Attachments

• PXL_20200927_202118044.jpg
    PXL_20200927_202118044.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 619
  • PXL_20201005_164649249.jpg
    PXL_20201005_164649249.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 515
  • PXL_20201005_164706236.jpg
    PXL_20201005_164706236.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 482
  • PXL_20201005_164732950.jpg
    PXL_20201005_164732950.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 446
  • PXL_20201005_164754273.jpg
    PXL_20201005_164754273.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 459
  • PXL_20201014_171412345.jpg
    PXL_20201014_171412345.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 604
Just got mine back from the SC. Ultimately they decided to not even attempt to PDR it. They said the frunk is slightly misaligned, sunken in on one side, which I hadn't really noticed but that they said contributes to this. So they ordered and will replace the whole hood, and re-align it at that time.

I will say they were surprisingly helpful and offered to fix basically everything I noted as delivery issues. The one "within spec" response was on a single door handle sunken in more than the others. They explained there's basically no adjustment available on those at all, and the offset met their spec. Otherwise everything was addressed or is scheduled to be addressed. Pretty happy so far, despite the issues.

Reactions: Dayreg
Just got mine back from the SC. Ultimately they decided to not even attempt to PDR it. They said the frunk is slightly misaligned, sunken in on one side, which I hadn't really noticed but that they said contributes to this. So they ordered and will replace the whole hood, and re-align it at that time.

I will say they were surprisingly helpful and offered to fix basically everything I noted as delivery issues. The one "within spec" response was on a single door handle sunken in more than the others. They explained there's basically no adjustment available on those at all, and the offset met their spec. Otherwise everything was addressed or is scheduled to be addressed. Pretty happy so far, despite the issues.

SC does a solid job at trying to be fair. A lot depends on the SA, but generally I've been happy with my experiences as well. Everything on my car was eventually fixed after 3 visits.

Sorry for the book, quick summary at bottom.

It's been awhile since I had this fixed, and long enough that this probably won't get anyone directly in trouble. Getting this fixed was awful, and Tesla either lied to me or at the very least repeatedly made statements that weren't true. After 4 visits it was mostly fixed.

I was originally told this could be fixed by PDR, but it couldn't. I was told a hood was being painted at the factory and would make it to the service center soon, it would likely be color match, and I'd be in and out in about 2 hours. After waiting about 8 weeks, my appointment came around. They had the hood, but had decided to let a body shop do install it. I very explicitly stated that I did not want any of the car painted without authorization, as I had spoken to a detailer in the area who warned me that always goes horrifically on the Multi-coat Red here in the area and they had seen several awful outcomes. They say that's absolutely false, but understand. They agree to the request and said it'd be done the next day.

The next day I get a call that it's going to take about a week since they're painting the car. I ask them WTF they're talking about since I didn't authorize that. They try to reassure me this shop always does a great job and the car will look as good as new. I ask if it's too late to put it back the way it was, and they ultimately have the body shop call me.

The body shop said they painted the hood, not the factory, and had done so weeks ago without knowing why. Tesla then just told them to swap the hood so they did. They said it's nearly impossible to paint match Multi-coat red, and they'll have to blend at least through the quarter panels. They'd do their best, but it will not match. The shop was absolutely awesome, talked me through all the options, potential outcomes, and their opinions. They strongly suggested I reinstall the original hood because of difficulty matching MCR paint.

Worse, they let me know they've fixed hundreds of these frunk dents. It's a design flaw with how the hood fits, and they can cut some internal adhesive to release the pressure and remove the dent. They said it won't make it 100% better, but maybe 95% better. They put my original hood back on and made this modification. It looks perfect. I can't tell there was ever a dent there. There's some minor damage to the hood that happened during removal, but that's it. It's aligned perfectly now, too.

Back at Tesla the rep pretty snottily asked if I was happy with it after "changing my mind" about having it painted. I wanted to tell them their own body shop confirmed my fears, but let it go.

TL;DR: Replacement frunks aren't factory painted. Multi-coat Red paint is very hard to match. If your frunk is dented at delivery, reject the vehicle or find a body shop that knows the magic trick necessary to fix it.