Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk delivered dented

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the book, quick summary at bottom.

It's been awhile since I had this fixed, and long enough that this probably won't get anyone directly in trouble. Getting this fixed was awful, and Tesla either lied to me or at the very least repeatedly made statements that weren't true. After 4 visits it was mostly fixed.

I was originally told this could be fixed by PDR, but it couldn't. I was told a hood was being painted at the factory and would make it to the service center soon, it would likely be color match, and I'd be in and out in about 2 hours. After waiting about 8 weeks, my appointment came around. They had the hood, but had decided to let a body shop do install it. I very explicitly stated that I did not want any of the car painted without authorization, as I had spoken to a detailer in the area who warned me that always goes horrifically on the Multi-coat Red here in the area and they had seen several awful outcomes. They say that's absolutely false, but understand. They agree to the request and said it'd be done the next day.

The next day I get a call that it's going to take about a week since they're painting the car. I ask them WTF they're talking about since I didn't authorize that. They try to reassure me this shop always does a great job and the car will look as good as new. I ask if it's too late to put it back the way it was, and they ultimately have the body shop call me.

The body shop said they painted the hood, not the factory, and had done so weeks ago without knowing why. Tesla then just told them to swap the hood so they did. They said it's nearly impossible to paint match Multi-coat red, and they'll have to blend at least through the quarter panels. They'd do their best, but it will not match. The shop was absolutely awesome, talked me through all the options, potential outcomes, and their opinions. They strongly suggested I reinstall the original hood because of difficulty matching MCR paint.

Worse, they let me know they've fixed hundreds of these frunk dents. It's a design flaw with how the hood fits, and they can cut some internal adhesive to release the pressure and remove the dent. They said it won't make it 100% better, but maybe 95% better. They put my original hood back on and made this modification. It looks perfect. I can't tell there was ever a dent there. There's some minor damage to the hood that happened during removal, but that's it. It's aligned perfectly now, too.

Back at Tesla the rep pretty snottily asked if I was happy with it after "changing my mind" about having it painted. I wanted to tell them their own body shop confirmed my fears, but let it go.

TL;DR: Replacement frunks aren't factory painted. Multi-coat Red paint is very hard to match. If your frunk is dented at delivery, reject the vehicle or find a body shop that knows the magic trick necessary to fix it.
I just refused delivery last Saturday bc of the dents. I noticed 3, on both sides of the emblem and a little higher up on the frunk. Almost accepted the car bc the operations manager said he’d order a new one painted at the factory if they couldn’t fix it, but decided that it would be a gamble color matching to the rest of the car. Thanks for the post, makes me feel better about my decision to refuse and wait longer.

Check out the bend in the reflection!

Attachments

• 68CBA011-936A-4CC7-ACA2-3C723C1444C9.jpeg
    68CBA011-936A-4CC7-ACA2-3C723C1444C9.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 111