Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk did not open or latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 85D built in late February (old nose). I have avoided using the frunk because I found it very hard to latch. My son washed the car for me this past weekend and opened the frunk. He told me he could not get it to close. I tried, and it was in the unlatched position and I could not fully close it or open it. Using the remote, I would hear the clicking as if it was being opened, but it would not release, only allowing me to open it a few inches and not latch it. I felt it dangerous to drive the car and tried to schedule an appointment with Tesla. Soonest was mid September, so I thought I was SOL till then.

I then went out and put my finger in where the latch is and I was able to push it to the right (while facing the car) and get the hood open. As I was moving it, I tried the remote and it would move a little each time I pressed it but would not release. Once the hood was open, I was able to close it and latch it. The car reports the hood being closed now. I still have the appointment for mid-September and I will not open the frunk till then.

Anyone else have this issue? I searched the forums to no avail.

This happens. If you pop the frunk but don't open it within, like, 5 minutes, it will lock like this. This happened when the dealer was showing me how to work it. He snuck his hand up in there like you said and unlatched it. I have watched Youtube videos on how to get the frunk open when the battery is dead, or it is stuck, or it is not working. You need to know how to open the frunk sometimes when it is not cooperating. The 12 volt battery is up in there, and nothing will work without the 12 volt battery and you can't get in the locked car. There are ways to get into the frunk if the battery is dead to jump or replace the battery. Learn how to do this. I have thought of getting an automatic frunk to lessen the hassle.