Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk does not close completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ,
just got my red CPO model S85 2014.
I’ll save you the details of a 3hrs wait on Saturday to get the car, even if , overall, it too just a week (!!) from when I clicked “Buy” to when I got the car

in any case, I have a problem I wanted to share with the community to see if anyone seen experienced it and if ther is a way I can save a trip to the SC.

it looks like I cannot fully close the frunk, after various attempts, forum posts reading and YouTube videos.
attached a picture for you to judge.

any input is appreciated, while I wait for Support Center to respond to my email.
Stoppa

Attachments

• FDF82947-1037-4E59-831B-5F6CD3FE3873.jpeg
    FDF82947-1037-4E59-831B-5F6CD3FE3873.jpeg
    708.1 KB · Views: 388
Do you note the issue on a Due Bill when you picked up the car. I had the same issue on mine. They agreed to fix it and it was put on a Due Bill.

Unfortunately not..I noticed it in the garage after parking.
BTW, during the delivery I noticed a few scratches on the driver door will, and when raised the DS, she just apologized and said that they will not fix it. The more I insisted the more they apologized just waiting for me to leave.....

Looks very similar to the panel gap on my car (October 2014 build).

Nearly all the initial launch batch of cars sent to australia were produced together and had this issue with the hood.

The gap was so massive on mine (about 1 inch) that I wrongly assumed the hood latch was sitting high and needed adjusting. After getting it inspected it was pointed out that the other areas of the hood were lower and that it appeared to be a problem with the stamping of the metal.

I did have a body shop look at it and after some adjusting they managed to get it lower but still a big gap (can easily put a finger in). Have learnt to live with it.

Quality control is still an issue (just look at all the panel gap threads). Luck of the draw it seems.

Reactions: David99
Went to the SC yesterday. Interesting experience.
I went there without appointment, so kudos for listening to me and checking the car out.

After acknowledging that the gap was big, they discussed among themselves and told me that they could fix it at the SC instead of sending it to the body shop (they mentioned Chilton).
They could not do it right away but I could schedule an appt. OK, good we went back inside and setup an appt for the week after.
While on the way out, another guy (a bit more senior than the previous two guys) approached me asking what was the issue.
I explained again and he went into an explanation on why they actually could not do anything as the hood gap was "in specifications" and
how if they make adjustment it will move other things around the bumper and hood.....

Then he asked me to look at other model S parked around, and yes , on two cars the gap was there, while on a third one it was not.
Again, the guy apologized and said the would not do anything.... :(

If anybody had it fixed and can send me a few pictures of the hood, I may try again....

Now, back to try to make the Homelink garage door opener working...

Thanks for this. Just read your thread with interest. We have the S since more than 2 years and it has about the same gap. As I noticed it is the same on the other S I checked, I thought it was "normal". I just learned from this thread that some of us did have better luck and better finish. Anyway... still a great car, and I only notice it when I hand-wash it.