Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve used the Home Depot spring and cut 3-4 coils to match the length of the stock spring. It’s not a 1 finger close for me and still took two hands to close the hood evenly. It opened/popped up to same height as stock...first 3/4 was quick and then the last 1/4 it was a slow upward creep. So I just put the stock spring back in.
Maybe if I didn’t cut as many coils it would be easier to close...but then It might not open up enough.

Cut HD spring...stock...original HD spring
9876FB83-558A-4758-B023-B0C4B66EC465.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I’ve used the Home Depot spring and cut 3-4 coils to match the length of the stock spring. It’s not a 1 finger close for me and still took two hands to close the hood evenly. It opened/popped up to same height as stock...first 3/4 was quick and then the last 1/4 it was a slow upward creep. So I just put the stock spring back in.
Maybe if I didn’t cut as many coils it would be easier to close...but then It might not open up enough.

Cut HD spring...stock...original HD spring
View attachment 428574
I didn't cut any coils from the HD spring and it still always open up. Sometimes it just won't open up as much as the original spring but still enough for you to lift up the lid.

Haven't looked at this thread in a while, but I'm wondering if people are using the 19lb spring, instead of the 2lb spring. I'm using the 2lb spring and that's the one that makes the hood easy to close with one finger.

Someone posted on the Tesla Forum about finding a heavier weight spring from Home Depot that works with the stock struts.

They noted to use the smaller one in this pack works.
Souce: Finally a frunk soft close solution? | Tesla
Link: Everbilt 5/8 in. x 2-1/2 in. and 5/8 in. x 3-1/4 in. Zinc-Plated Extension Spring (4-pack)-16089 - The Home Depot
Just bought it, doesn't really work well with stock struts. I still have to force my finger under the hood to get any grip to open...

Mine barely opened :( Guess each Model 3 has a different tolerance from the factory...
Yep. Most people here found that the stock spring worked. Not for me. I had to cut several loops away and then it "popped"....until it didn't. When the frunk sits closed for days without having been opened, it requires a little bit more force to pop up. So after a few days even my cut down HD spring would not pop. So I cut 2 MORE loops and now it's great. After many days it still pops, albeit not as authoritively as with the original OEM spring, but does so each time and I don't have to convince the frunk to pop with my finger tips. It is not as easy to close as the full length HD spring, but is still way easier. I even let my 12 year old close it slowly a few days ago with one hand....

Reactions: Scott7
Figured I'd chime in for canadians and link the spring I picked up off amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00G34PQ9C/

has been working well for me, will always do the one inch pop and closing with one finger is quite easy

How is this spring performing for you? Does it still pop the hood after a few days not opening it?

Any other Canadians try out this spring? I would prefer to order via Amazon.ca if possible. Where did you purchase this spring mod? Thanks!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00G34PQ9C/

Reactions: ATC@LWSK
Just a heads up for cold climate snowy users...

love my frunk with the lighter spring but in winter put back the stock.

This morning I had to open my frunk as there was a ton of ice under the wipers and I had to clear it out.

The frunk was harder to open as expected but the problem was it would not latch, no matter what I did.

I grabbed the stock spring popped it in and it closes perfectly.

I will put the softer spring back when the weather improves.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
I have a friend who did this to his and saved me a spring to install on mine so we could have the same setup. When he went to show it to me last fall he couldn't get the frunk to open enough to get his finger in it.

Thus I spent $380 on the power frunk when it was available. So much nicer than ever having to worry about closing it correctly w/o leaving fingerprints or even ever rasing it again.

I’m sort of contemplating if I should do this strut and spring mod. It sounds really cool.

Wondering if anyone thought through the reliability aspect?

If the frunk hood rattle, that means that “loop” is hitting the latching mechanism. Given how flimsy the hood is, would the weld point break away after x number of years??

***Quote to 197/198. I screwed up at the quoting and it wouldn’t let me re-quite. ***

Still kind of worry about the stronger strut may damaged the frunk hood in the long run. Is that why you don’t have the stronger strut?

Last edited: