TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frunk electric lock?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Koryin, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Koryin

Koryin Member

Before v7.0, I clearly remember having to push down on the frunk until it latched. When I showed off the frunk today, I only had to use very little force before I heard an electric lock catch and close the frunk.

Am I remembering wrong, or did something change?

I have a 2015 85D built in May.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Something must have changed. I just checked mine...much less pressure. I like it! Wonder what other surprises are in here.

3. OverZealous

OverZealous Member

That's crazy you say that, because I closed it a few minutes ago, and thought it was easier to close. I assumed I just hit a sweet spot, but now I'm going to pay more attention.

4. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Tesla downloaded a new latch mechanism to you? Now that is​ impressive! :)

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

Probably just my imagination but it sure feels like less pressure is required. Has there always been an electronic sound when depressing the frunk?

6. Koryin

Koryin Member

I know right? I can only assume the mechanism was already there but only activated with the latest update. I distinctly remember having to push with two hands until I heard/felt it latch. Now, I just gave a little bit of force and I could hear some electric mechanism activate and take it the rest of the way down.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Do you all have Ds? I think I only have a mechanical latch. I'll be shocked if it isn't.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Early VIN on 2012, still same mechanical catch.

9. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Can someone post a video with good sound? This is intriguing.

10. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes, one month old 90D why? Agree about the mechanical but a) you can release it electronically (touchscreen or keyfob and b) there's definitely an electrical sound that's simultaneous to closing it. Has to be my imagination or sudden superhuman strength.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

2015s moved from a dual latch to a single latch, which was rumored to be electronically controlled. This is also why these newer frunks do not have an emergency release in the passenger footwell like the old mechanical ones do. Thus, it is quite likely they retuned the electronic latch.

12. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Is that only on Ds? I tried out the frunk on a RWD showroom demo in the Newport Beach store two weeks ago and it had two latches. Their D model demo had one latch.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I thought it was all based on manufacturing time, but I have confirmed knowledge of that. All the loaners I've had had dual latches, but we're also late 2014 and RWD.

14. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I know that the first Ds already had only one latch, but assumed that RWD would follow when all of the double latch inventory at the factory was used up, but that has been a long time now.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I thought the same and just haven't come across newly manufactured cars to tell. Another oddity I guess.

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

Found it discussed here Closing the single electronic frunk latch experience

see Firewired's comment.

Cyclone's right although it sounds like it's always been easier for D's and the electronics were already there. Still uncertain if it's easier now than two days ago.

17. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

It seems the same to me, and I've only had the car a week, so not used to much else. I still can't believe I can't open it without having to find the keyfob in my purse. That's the whole point of proximity key, isn't it?? <1% probs, I know>

18. David29

David29 Member

I happened to open the frunk of my 70D yesterday, and I also was surprised at how easily it closed. I was expecting to need to do the 2-hand press, but discovered it was already latched. Since I have only closed it 3-4 times so far anyway, it could have been my imagination, but when I did it, I had installed v7 but had not yet read about this observation by others....

19. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

#19 InternetDude, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  20. OverZealous

OverZealous Member

Haha! Awesome, thanks for the investigative research! It's probably all in our heads, surreal that there would be multiple, independent thoughts that the frunk changed.

I did have a "wonderful" experience trying to test this out myself: It was nearing 1 AM, and I decided to see if it really felt different or not. I popped the frunk and pushed it down, and similar to your video, it caught a little, but not enough to truly engage. I tried to pull up on it slightly and HONK HONK HONK HONK — whoops, set off the alarm. With the garage door open. And my wife and our 3yo sleeping upstairs... Whoops.

Note to self: make sure the car is unlocked before playing with it after midnight.