Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk electric lock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the first Ds already had only one latch, but assumed that RWD would follow when all of the double latch inventory at the factory was used up, but that has been a long time now.
My May 2015 D has two latches, but you don't know the second one is there. How do I know this? Well, on the highway a few weeks ago, in pounding rain and wind, a B-train semi went by the other way and just hammered me with a wall of buffeting wind. The dash freaked out and told me that the frunk was open! What!? I pulled over immediately and sure enough, it was popped. But a secondary latch had kept it from releasing all the way and wrapping itself across my windshield.

When they pulled my logs, they did indeed confirm that the frunk had opened, but only at the first release. They suggested I hadn't closed it properly (I though it either was or wasn't closed... :rolleyes:) and that was that. Some comment made later indicated the secondary latch wouldn't release if the car was in motion (which begs the question - why did the initial latch release?)

So I'm pretty sure there are two mechanisms in the D's, but perhaps not obvious about their presence and likely a different style from earlier cars.

Last edited by a moderator: