Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk gap -- fix it or live with it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped car off for PPF and installer pointed out the frunk gap. I had seen but didn't think it was worth adjustment attempt as I've heard stories that this can make things worse. Here are a few pictures....let me know your thoughts..

Attachments

• tempImage1FmS6F.png
    tempImage1FmS6F.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,739
  • tempImageHby9tc.png
    tempImageHby9tc.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 879
  • tempImageJeQqce.png
    tempImageJeQqce.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 829
I would open the Frunk and rotate the rubber bumper stops a bit to see if it helps. You might be surprised at how even the Frunk will look by making small adjustments to those Frunk stops. If that doesn't even things out, open a service request.
Mike -- thanks for the suggestion. I'll give this a try tomorrow after picking car up from PPF install. Hoping this will improve my frunk as I'm reluctant to go for more invasive body work

Mike -- thanks for the suggestion. I'll give this a try tomorrow after picking car up from PPF install. Hoping this will improve my frunk as I'm reluctant to go for more invasive body work
The hood itself is probably deformed. The rubber stopper is all the way on the left side and wouldn't cause that much deformation. I would have postponed the PPF as the might need to replace the hood and you'll have to get it redone.

Reactions: SMR514
The hood itself is probably deformed. The rubber stopper is all the way on the left side and wouldn't cause that much deformation. I would have postponed the PPF as the might need to replace the hood and you'll have to get it redone.
Before going to the PPF place I stopped by the local Tesla approved body shop (I'm 2+ hours to the closest SC). Body Shop (best local reputation) felt that they could make adjustments and fix the frunk. They said that the PPF shouldn't be an issue for the work that they anticipated. I tried to schedule with the body shop as warranty claim but they said I need to get Tesla's pre-approval. I couldn't figure out how to do so on the app so I've made a SC appointment for early January. I'm adding comments to the service appointment in the app trying to get Tesla to approve letting local body shop do the work as a warranty claim. The mobile tech thought that this might work.

So I set a SC appointment and messaged Tesla about preferring to have their local approved body shop fix this issue. I got a msg back saying "Your car has been measured and is within Tesla specifications. Our service manager and one of our lead techs insured that everything was up to Tesla standards, and any further adjustments would impact the functionality. I hope that this clears things up."

So I reply that they have only seen pictures but their mobile tech actually saw the car in person and suggested that I go to the local body shop and get Tesla to pay....and I asked them to reconsider.

They reply that Jen is a wonderful tech but doesn't have a strong background in deliveries....they reiterate that everything was up to Tesla standards and that adjustments "would impact the functionality."

I responded and told them that I'd like to keep my SC appointment and look at the car with a tech. I told them that my research says that the frunk can be tweaked and better aligned.

Just got a confirmation of my appointment and a $0 estimated cost....fingers crossed!

Our 2020 MYLR frunk was misaligned from delivery day. The SC tweaked it post delivery, and it looked good for a short while, then “warped back” to misalignment. It looks goofy, but we just aren’t bothered that much…

Attachments

• 32BB3F72-4FD9-499E-8B20-27A7E227583B.jpeg
    32BB3F72-4FD9-499E-8B20-27A7E227583B.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 554