TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frunk impact

Discussion in 'Model S' started by malcolm, Aug 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Looking ahead to owners using their Model S's for the usual daily activities, the single most arresting feature of the car won't be the lack of exhaust pipe or noise but the use of the frunk. A lot of other drivers are going to stop and stare at the bizarre sight of Tesla owners loading groceries and what-have-you into the "engine bay".

If you see someone staring at you when you do this, just give them a smile and say "Mr Fusion" by way of explanation.

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

"What's wrong with your car?"
    "My engine not only died - it completely vanished!"
    :tongue:

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That car also had a funk.

dmc_21.jpg

4. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Hey, that's cool. I had never seen that open before. Wonder why they didn't use it in the BTTF movies.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I get strange looks when I pop my "hood" to throw shopping bags (or dog food) in. A woman in the parking lot even stopped on her way out to ask what the heck I was doing, with a boatload of S's on the road, and I presume many more of them used for shopping runs than my car, we should get lots of stories.

6. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

When I envision showing people my S, I always think the "grand finale" will be asking them if they want to see the engine, popping open the frunk, and (gasp!), there's no engine!

Unlike some sports cars that have rear engines (my Dad's old VW bug had the same), I assume the S is the first four door sedan without a front engine (or any engine, obviously), and with the hatch in the back, it will I think be a really startling thing for people who don't follow Tesla or EVs at all to see no engine anywhere.

7. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Seen it before but a lot less useful ag_08r8_trunk.jpg

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

That gives me the idea of a fake "Bugatti Veyron W16 rear engine" parcel shelf! Anyone care to craft one?

9. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Reminds me of the scene in Doc Hollywood when the mechanic pops the hood and says "Whoa there ain't no engine in here!" then looks over at Michael J Fox and says "Gotcha!"

10. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

I think I just found what I'm going to put on my vanity plate!

11. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

Or a fake flux capacitor...

12. AustinPowers

Rather a fake Mr. Fusion. Could work as shown in the film, with a real trash container hidden underneath.

Imagine the look on the faces of bystanders or fellow-shoppers at your local store when you tell them you have to refuel and then pop in some banana peel and half-empty beer can, then drive away ;-)

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

But afterwards it has to fly away going somewhere where they don't need roads. Well at least we know the Model X has a hover mode.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4181&stc=1.jpg

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That would be awesome. You could make a functioning one too since there is room in the frunk to collect the shredded items.

15. AustinPowers

That's what I meant so say. I was only half-joking with my posting anyway.

16. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Just wished the Tech Package included a powered frunk as well. Could definitely use that with bags of groceries under both arms.

17. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yeah! Exactly what I was thinking as well.

At the PA event, one of the reps manually lowered the frunk lid all the way and gently pressed it in rather than slamming it shut. He was saying that it was more advisable to do that to preserve the locking mechanism. So, no, I don't think the frunk is recommended for daily, heavy use.

18. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I suspect that a front compartment without a manual locking release is a bit too risky. If it somehow malfunctioned, you'd be looking at the frunk lid instead of the road.

19. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I wouldn't use the frunk for groceries. My assumption is that the frunk won't be getting any of the A/C, so when it's hot out anything you put in there would melt. It's probably only good for luggage on long trips or valuables (computers etc.) that you don't want people to be able to see in the rear (and that's assuming you can't use the parcel shelf).

Really, I think the best idea so far has been Mr. Fusion. I would pay for a mockup of one just to put in there and use!

20. raymond

raymond Member

... for no more than a split second. No biggie. :smile: