Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk latch fail on freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why it's harder to open any front hood and they don't open automatically. While people have been complaining about that for years now, this is the first time I've heard of a hood actually opening while driving. Let us know if you determine a cause.

Wow...this is beyond disappointing, and first I've heard of this on any Tesla. So it unlatched, and the safety failed all at once? Did you still have the stock release spring, or did you swap it out for a weaker spring to make closing easier? If not, I have to believe there was a serious failure in the latch assembly that was incorrect from delivery.

Is it possible that the hood release had been pressed before you left your last location? I know with my Model Y if I open the Frunk there is no second latch. I just lift the hood. I also know that when I release the Frunk Lock on my Phone or the Touch Screen it asks me if I am sure that I want to do so.

Reactions: Ericna
This is interesting- lots of data available.
Do you have dashcam footage?
Do you have a list recent alerts? (I’m suspecting ‘front trunk open, do not drive’
OP should come to Tesla prepared - guaranteed Tesla will have your data

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr850
photos: Now i've had a moment after my first rant and pissed... after a few days of delivery my frunk sensor started alerting that the frunk was open and flashed 20 times a minute, 70% of the time I had to over ride the sensor to drive or use the windshield wipers (I have to over ride the windshield wipers just to make it wipe once). of course I called service and the sent someone out 3 weeks later with a new latch.. they replaced it and we drove around the block and it didn't activate.. my next drive started going off again nonstop...I requested service again and scheduled end of this month... so spent almost 60 days having to press override all the time. leads me to this day, was the frunk open and I didn't even know it? I dont even know.. at first I was blaming Tesla because of this happened to me, then I started wondering if that frunk was open and since I've had this issue on going I didn't think twice about it being open and just drove...any normal driver that had this alert would have stopped right away and made sure it was closed, but me it happens all day long. If the frunk was open and I override it due to the frunk ongoing issue I shouldn't be liable for the damage?

Also isn't there a secondary latch that triggers if you start driving? isnt that a big safety issue if it didn't auto latch?

Attachments

• IMG_8604.png
    IMG_8604.png
    982.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_8605.png
    IMG_8605.png
    772 KB · Views: 222
Tesla might have an engineering problem here. A serious one.

Here's the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard:

571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.

S4. Requirements.

S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.

S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.

ie - One latch failure should never allow the driver's vision to be impaired. Tesla apparently lacks a dual latch system.

Yea Tesla should pay for this. Even if he did leave the hood open he ignored the alert because they never fixed it right and their service takes too long.

The hood latch isn't that complicated it likely just needed some repositioning. I bet you could have fixed it yourself.

Welcome to 2020 Tesla.

Hopefully Tesla doesn’t put this on you, but it’s the end result of a hastily built car with the quality control burden on the customer. They expect you to deal with a faulty component, without loaner or good service, or in the meantime driving at your own risk. Thankfully no one was injured.

Ok, I trust that there is a second latch. Perhaps I should pop my Frunk Lock before leaving to Costco and see if after moving a distance in my neighborhood causes it to relatch itself or if it stays unlatched.
Yea Tesla should pay for this. Even if he did leave the hood open he ignored the alert because they never fixed it right and their service takes too long.

The hood latch isn't that complicated it likely just needed some repositioning. I bet you could have fixed it yourself.

true, they replaced it once already and the same issue.... even though im capable of fixing something myself... i figured with Tesla logs they would know I was
I have not tried to open the Frunk while moving with my Fob, but I know that with the Phone and Touch Screen , it asks for a conformation.

that could be interesting to see the results, even shifting to drive should engage?