TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frunk latch failure on my P85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by andrewket, Dec 24, 2014.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The frunk latch on my P85D failed this morning :(. The actuator makes noise, but it won't release the hood. Unfortunately the tow hook and air compressor are in there and I'm leaving in an hour on my road trip. Here is hoping for the best!

Andrew

https://vimeo.com/115343656

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound good.

Good luck!

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Manual release under glove compartment?

4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

#4 Andyw2100, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    I've now seen your other thread, where you show the size of the frunk by putting your microwave bag in it. I know this sounds crazy, and it obviously shouldn't have, but do you think closing the frunk with the microwave bag in there could have somehow caused the problem you're now having?

I guess what I mean is we know how easily the frunk has creased in the past. Is it possible that the very slight pressure that may have been put on the latch area when you closed the hood (assuming you did) with the microwave bag in there could have somehow ever so slightly have bent something that is now preventing the frunk latch from releasing?

Realize I am in no way blaming you, Andrew. This would be an indication of a very temperamental and sensitive design. I'm just suggesting this as a possibility, as opposed to a completely random failure.

5. andrewket

Yep, it might be related. I didn't force the hood down to get the bag to fit. It closed, it was just tight. And I've opened and closed the hood a few times since without issue.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Did you try the manual release yet?

7. andrewket

No, because I'm afraid it will release but then not go back down and in literally leaving in 5 minutes :/

8. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Try holding the hood down while someone activates it. The bag may be pushing up on the hood and preventing it from releasing. Good luck. I did a 1000 mile road trip with no compressor, hook or tire sealant. You will likely be fine. Good luck!

9. andrewket

The bag isn't in there. There is nothing in the frunk except for the tow hook and air compressor. I did try pushing on the hood while releasing it- no dice.