TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Frunk latch open mid-drive

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tpatana, Jul 10, 2018.

1. tpatana

tpatana Member

I guess I should write here also what happened today. Potentially dangerous situation:

Just had interesting experience. I had a carry-on luggage in frunk, and after driving about half mile, while braking the car gave big alert that the frunk latch is open and I should stop driving.

I pulled over as soon as it was safe. Upon inspecting, the luggage had slid inside the frunk and the handle hit the release button.

Luckily I wasn't driving too fast.

Anyone else had similar happen to them?

As I was assuming and what people were commenting on the thread, it's law to have release inside. However, the placement and style makes it potentially dangerous. Maybe make it pull instead of push, so looks similar like the coat hangers inside the car. Or place flip-up cover on the button like you see on top of fighter pilot sticks for shooting stuff (at least in the movies). Those would prevent any objects sliding around and hitting the button.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I wonder if this is the same in a S and X?

3. cmaster

cmaster Member

Yes, it's regulated only in the US to have a release inside the car. If you are in certain parts of Europe, there is no interior release.

4. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Yes, but is it the same type of switch as used in the Model 3 and in a vulnerable position to be accidentally triggered by luggage? I should go and take a look, but I rarely use the trunk in my X

5. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Any pictures? You should post a Twitter to Elon and also submit a "feature request" from your car. They take these kind of things serious if its a known problem

6. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

• Funny x 1
  7. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

That does seem to be a bit of a design flaw.

I do like that your post had a problem, cause and solution all in one!

Personally I'm not a fan of fingerprints on the hood so I haven't used the frunk much.

8. richrootes

richrootes Member

Provided it doesn’t throw an error code, I’d disconnect the wires to the back of the switch

9. tpatana

tpatana Member

I don't have twitter :p Do you have his email?

I can stage it for picture.

10. tpatana

tpatana Member

I'm System test engineer (for RF/wireless). Can't help it :D

• Like x 1
  11. tpatana

tpatana Member

Looks like I lied, I do have twitter account. Never posted anything though. There were couple auto-posted items from some promotions. Latest one was only 4+ years old :)

I guess I can try tweeting this. Was it @ElonMusk or something?

12. lairdb

lairdb Member

Most designs appear to be a pull-thing or a lever-thing, neither of which is nearly as subject to accidental actuation. Agree: design improvement needed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]