Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk latch open mid-drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I should write here also what happened today. Potentially dangerous situation:

Just had interesting experience. I had a carry-on luggage in frunk, and after driving about half mile, while braking the car gave big alert that the frunk latch is open and I should stop driving.

I pulled over as soon as it was safe. Upon inspecting, the luggage had slid inside the frunk and the handle hit the release button.

Luckily I wasn't driving too fast.

Anyone else had similar happen to them?

As I was assuming and what people were commenting on the thread, it's law to have release inside. However, the placement and style makes it potentially dangerous. Maybe make it pull instead of push, so looks similar like the coat hangers inside the car. Or place flip-up cover on the button like you see on top of fighter pilot sticks for shooting stuff (at least in the movies). Those would prevent any objects sliding around and hitting the button.

I guess I should write here also what happened today. Potentially dangerous situation:

Just had interesting experience. I had a carry-on luggage in frunk, and after driving about half mile, while braking the car gave big alert that the frunk latch is open and I should stop driving.

I pulled over as soon as it was safe. Upon inspecting, the luggage had slid inside the frunk and the handle hit the release button.

Luckily I wasn't driving too fast.

Anyone else had similar happen to them?

As I was assuming and what people were commenting on the thread, it's law to have release inside. However, the placement and style makes it potentially dangerous. Maybe make it pull instead of push, so looks similar like the coat hangers inside the car. Or place flip-up cover on the button like you see on top of fighter pilot sticks for shooting stuff (at least in the movies). Those would prevent any objects sliding around and hitting the button.

That does seem to be a bit of a design flaw.

I do like that your post had a problem, cause and solution all in one!

Personally I'm not a fan of fingerprints on the hood so I haven't used the frunk much.

Most designs appear to be a pull-thing or a lever-thing, neither of which is nearly as subject to accidental actuation. Agree: design improvement needed.

tUBSG8w.png
m9cqDD4.png