Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk latch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
Every vehicle I know has a secondary latch on the hood. You need to find the secondary latch to open the hood. My model 3 does not have a secondary latch on the frunk, is that common across all Tesla models? How does Tesla get away from having a secondary latch?

There is a secondary latch. The primary and secondary disengage when you pop the frunk. The secondary re-engages if you wait too long to open the frunk. (you can hear the latch motor when it does)

If you look down the striker, you can see both latches.

--Carlos V.

There is a secondary latch. The primary and secondary disengage when you pop the frunk. The secondary re-engages if you wait too long to open the frunk. (you can hear the latch motor when it does)

If you look down the striker, you can see both latches.

--Carlos V.
Exactly. I’ve often opened (popped) my frunk and walked away and come back and it’s locked on the secondary. Try it and see!

I had a bunch of cat supplies stuck in my frunk when my wife and I went on a road trip last month. I tried to squeeze a giant tub of cat litter in which made the frunk difficult to close.

When I tried to let it out, I noticed that one of the latches was not disengaging as if it unlocked for a split second then locked again immediately. My wife tried helping me by pressing the unlock button from the inside again but it still didn't help. What ultimately worked was using one hand to pull the frunk open while I use the other to unlock it through the app (since it was grayed out on the center console). Surprisingly, that worked and saved me a call to the service center!

No damage seems to be done to either of the latches and it seems to be working perfectly fine.

How long did that take?
I am away on vacation, and now a small carry on size piece of luggage is stuck in the frunk.
I got my frunk fixed 6 days later. Mobile service received the part in the mail and scheduled a visit with me to fix it at my house. I picked the day and time that worked for me.

When the technician arrived I offered to put the front end of my car on ramps so that he could more easily access the bottom of it under the frunk. He removed the bottom cover from the car and had access to the two solenoids that control the frunk. My secondary solenoid had failed (the one towards the passenger side of the car). He unlatched the solenoid from the actuator cable and pulled on the cable to fully release my trunk. The solenoid and cable assembly was replaced with a revision C part (my original was revision A) and we verified that it now worked.

I have attached a picture with colored areas that show the solenoid and cable assembly (orange) and the white latch to disconnect the solenoid and cable for manual release (red circle).

Frunk Latch.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech and Pkmmte
My secondary solenoid had failed (the one towards the passenger side of the car).

Thanks for the update.
Emergency road service suggested similar pushing/pulling when i called on Sunday. Which still didnt work. I showed up at Devon sc on Monday after calling ahead on the way. They tried similar procedure again with no success, and did confirm secondary selenoid at fault. They removed luggage from front trunk for me somehow. I should be scheduled soon for remote service to replace the selenoid.

BTW, Devon sc was full of S X and lots of 3's and plenty busy. While i was waiting i saw several assisted with placing orders and deposits.

So I know this is an old post but I still worry about the way the hood latch works
Today I’m sitting in the car using the web browser to look for flights. I go to type in the date and the cursor moves over to the left off the browser screen. Then when I hit my next key stroke I hear the frunk pop open.

Some type of glitch as the cursor was moved off screen over the the left panel where the car display is .

So I know this is an old post but I still worry about the way the hood latch works
Today I’m sitting in the car using the web browser to look for flights. I go to type in the date and the cursor moves over to the left off the browser screen. Then when I hit my next key stroke I hear the frunk pop open.

Some type of glitch as the cursor was moved off screen over the the left panel where the car display is .
Yeah, I’ve had the latest browser software register phantom tapping in the wrong spots recently.

I got my frunk fixed 6 days later. Mobile service received the part in the mail and scheduled a visit with me to fix it at my house. I picked the day and time that worked for me.

When the technician arrived I offered to put the front end of my car on ramps so that he could more easily access the bottom of it under the frunk. He removed the bottom cover from the car and had access to the two solenoids that control the frunk. My secondary solenoid had failed (the one towards the passenger side of the car). He unlatched the solenoid from the actuator cable and pulled on the cable to fully release my trunk. The solenoid and cable assembly was replaced with a revision C part (my original was revision A) and we verified that it now worked.

I have attached a picture with colored areas that show the solenoid and cable assembly (orange) and the white latch to disconnect the solenoid and cable for manual release (red circle).

View attachment 344042
Thank you for posting this.

My primary latch failed (5 months after Ranger replaced the secondary latch)

so I unscrewed the underplate and removed both screws from the right actuator (bc I could not reach the end of the cable) and pulled on the whole actuator+cable. Then I quickly found out that the right side was actually the secondary latch (as you have perfectly described but I was too lazy and frustrated to read the whole post..) so then I redid the same procedure on the left side...Succes.

Since I don't have a new primary latch yet bc I didn't know what the issue was I now have a Model 3 with manual release untill I receive the new actuator

20231224_164809.jpg

• Love
Reactions: android04
I had a bunch of cat supplies stuck in my frunk when my wife and I went on a road trip last month. I tried to squeeze a giant tub of cat litter in which made the frunk difficult to close.

When I tried to let it out, I noticed that one of the latches was not disengaging as if it unlocked for a split second then locked again immediately. My wife tried helping me by pressing the unlock button from the inside again but it still didn't help. What ultimately worked was using one hand to pull the frunk open while I use the other to unlock it through the app (since it was grayed out on the center console). Surprisingly, that worked and saved me a call to the service center!

No damage seems to be done to either of the latches and it seems to be working perfectly fine.
Thanks for this post! I know it's been here awhile, but I just had my frunk fail to open (primary latch worked, secondary was apparently holding it) and trying this trick, using the app, got it to fully open. I think that there was some moisture freezing that was involved as I also used a hair dryer to warm up the hood latch area (after getting it to open partially) and that might have helped as well. It reached -19 here in Iowa the past few days so it could be described as "cold" while it was quite warm (25-35) immediately before the extreme cold so there was plenty of water splashing around, which, I think, then caused the problem (not clear how, though).

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte