Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does the frunk lid not have a secondary latch? Every car I’ve ever owned has that safety latch that has to be released after the main latch. I always thought this was a law. Do any of you know why Tesla doesn’t have to have that?

Because Tesla designers are too smart to follow safety practices that were developed over a hundred years. Once we have a software glitch open the latch at high speed and the lid fly off and shatter the windscreen in the process and possibly kill someone, we will get a safety latch.

• Disagree
Reactions: mdsco
Upvote 0
This is because the frunk cannot be unlatched when the car is in drive, so there should not be any safety issues.
The cars with 2nd latch have manual hood levers inside the car that can be pulled while driving, second latch prevents the hood from popping up if the driver "Accidentally" pulls the lever inside the car while driving.

Upvote 0
I would like Tesla to add a double tap option for the trunk open/close button. It is too easy to press the button that opens the hatch of the Model Y by mistake. At least on the Tesla app you have to be on the Controls screen to access the trunk open/close function.

Upvote 0
I would like Tesla to add a double tap option for the trunk open/close button. It is too easy to press the button that opens the hatch of the Model Y by mistake. At least on the Tesla app you have to be on the Controls screen to access the trunk open/close function.
What does it matter if you open the frunk when the car is parked? pressing the open on the car screen or app when the car is not parked does nothing. Call it a 2nd software safety lock.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
Upvote 0
Because Tesla designers are too smart to follow safety practices that were developed over a hundred years. Once we have a software glitch open the latch at high speed and the lid fly off and shatter the windscreen in the process and possibly kill someone, we will get a safety latch.
100 plus years of safety mechanism is perfect they say....

Upvote 0
What does it matter if you open the frunk when the car is parked? pressing the open on the car screen or app when the car is not parked does nothing. Call it a 2nd software safety lock.
It matters when parked inside a public garage when opening the trunk (not the frunk) by accident. Many times public parking garages have low hanging support beams, lighting etc. The hatch could be damaged when the Tesla vehicle is in Parked if you tap the wrong part of the screen by accident the hatch could be damaged by contacting the overhead garage structure.

Upvote 0
I took the hatch off the main screen for that reason. I have accidentally opened it with bikes back there.

Upvote 0
I recently had my Model 3 frunk fail to unlatch all the way, requiring a replacement of one of the TWO actuators (under warranty). So in a way there is a secondary latch. The parts on my Model Y are slightly different, but I think they work in a similar way to the 3. One actuator pulls from the left, the other from the right. It's a two step release action, and they are activated in sequence when you open the frunk. If either one was to fail the frunk would not open. It would require a double failure to open while in motion. Considering that there is probably a third software failure that would need to happen, it is probably safer than traditional systems where only two failures, or an accidental activation of the release handle and a single failure of the secondary latch would result in a hazard.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
Agree with you plus once the Frunk is unlatched it'll warn you if you put it into Drive that the Frunk is open (visually and audibly) and disables certain features like Autopilot and FSD beta until you stop, put it in Park and close the Frunk.

Upvote 0