Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk LED Light Strip for Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just completed my installation of this on my Model Y, but I also have the 'EVOffer' (formerly TeslaOffer) motorised frunk kit. Other difference is that I used an 'Atom' LED Neon strip as it's against my religion to purchase ANYTHING from Amazon! However I am interested to know if anyone else who has done this has observed that it appears to stop the frunk button from working to at least close the frunk, by the peered kit, but I'm guessing by deduction to also release the frunk from inside as it's supposed to? Any ideas as to how to test the release from inside are welcome as I certainly can't fit in there to try it!!
With the Hansshow auto frunk they say the LED strip needs to be connected to their wiring loom, not the original Tesla one.

Why won’t you buy anything from Amazon? I couldn’t survive without Amazon, just so convenient, delivery is so fast, incredible prices, and absolute no quibble returns; quite a lot of stuff I get and use then change my mind and return for full refund.

With the Hansshow auto frunk they say the LED strip needs to be connected to their wiring loom, not the original Tesla one.

Why won’t you buy anything from Amazon? I couldn’t survive without Amazon, just so convenient, delivery is so fast, incredible prices, and absolute no quibble returns; quite a lot of stuff I get and use then change my mind and return for full refund.
Ok, thanks for your reply, I will perhaps take a further look at this when I have a little more time, not that it seems to be a big issue as apart from the frunk button no longer closing the frunk, everything else seems to be working fine. Do Hansshow give any indication where they suggest connecting the LED strip as I'd imagine their system to be similar to the EVOffer one? If not I can have a prod around with my meter.

The Amazon thing is just that I can't bring myself to support that kind of business that will eventually destroy most others and I'd rather support smaller independent traders whilst I can to try and help their survival in very difficult times.

Ok, thanks for your reply, I will perhaps take a further look at this when I have a little more time, not that it seems to be a big issue as apart from the frunk button no longer closing the frunk, everything else seems to be working fine. Do Hansshow give any indication where they suggest connecting the LED strip as I'd imagine their system to be similar to the EVOffer one? If not I can have a prod around with my meter.

The Amazon thing is just that I can't bring myself to support that kind of business that will eventually destroy most others and I'd rather support smaller independent traders whilst I can to try and help their survival in very difficult times.
Here is the Hansshow instructions for installing the light strip: Tesla Frunk Ambient Light Installation Manual1.pdf

I get what you’re saying about Amazon, but it just feels a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your own face, if you get what I mean. The extra time to buy everything elsewhere is just time that I don’t have.

Here is the Hansshow instructions for installing the light strip: Tesla Frunk Ambient Light Installation Manual1.pdf

I get what you’re saying about Amazon, but it just feels a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your own face, if you get what I mean. The extra time to buy everything elsewhere is just time that I don’t have.
Thanks very much for that, very helpful. I will take a look and see how things compare and try some testing when I get time.

What you say is true of my refusal to use Amazon, it can be frustrating but I have my principles and am also happy to put the necessary extra time in now that I'm retired.

Reactions: mangrove79
Until they send the wrong item, my wife ordered an Ipad, they sent a decorating roller kit. Returned 2 weeks ago, still waiting for refund

Until they send the wrong item, my wife ordered an Ipad, they sent a decorating roller kit. Returned 2 weeks ago, still waiting for refund
That does surprise me, I make over 200 amazon orders a year and I have never received the wrong item. And every refund has been incredibly fast, most are within a few hours of dropping it at the post office.

Are you sure it wasn’t an Amazon marketplace order?

Reactions: mangrove79

Thanks got the link to these instructions

I have the Hansshow power frunk v5 for my 2021 model 3.

I bought the inextstation led strip that most diy uses that they tap into the existing frunk light +/- wires leaving the purple wire alone…probably would have been easier to buy the hannshow led strip and pay a bit more for the easy connectors

Do you think I can just tap into the Hansshow power frunk led wire loom?

I didn’t want to mess with original wires for warranty purposes in case I need to remove the power frunk or led strip

Thanks got the link to these instructions

I have the Hansshow power frunk v5 for my 2021 model 3.

I bought the inextstation led strip that most diy uses that they tap into the existing frunk light +/- wires leaving the purple wire alone…probably would have been easier to buy the hannshow led strip and pay a bit more for the easy connectors

Do you think I can just tap into the Hansshow power frunk led wire loom?

I didn’t want to mess with original wires for warranty purposes in case I need to remove the power frunk or led strip
The Hansshow LED strip doesn’t have easy connectors, and yes you tap into the Hansshow wiring loom (both of these things are described in the above instructions PDF.

Much of what I buy on Amazon is from independent traders… they use it as a marketplace. It’s the best way they can get their stuff in front of potential purchasers.

gee...that RGB LED strip light is weak as hell.

I have encountered 2 problems with model Y power frunk. 1) EV offer frunk, the physical frunk button becomes not useable 2) Taobao generic frunk, the wires are skinnier than other kits, the LED brightness was cut half.

by the way, I bought some easy connectors (pre-facelift version)
38bb8e6f-7805-4545-98db-aff206242fd9.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a basic white one on 29th March , the day I got my Model 3 . It was all working fine until this week, I had loaded up for a works trip and got 'Frunk Latch failure'

I have disconnect the LED's for now, the error cleared and will have a look at the weekend when I get back

I also fitted the uprated struts on the front so the Frunk opens fully ,

Nice cheap easy to fit option , took about 9 weeks to come though ...

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the power sucking from the LED wire triggers the error. the 12v should draw around 1A, I am thinking 10watt total from 2.6meter LED strip. Anyway, if you want to keep the LED, suggest to buy a LED controller with brightness adjustment, see if the 50% brightness would keep the warning away.

I installed a basic white one on 29th March , the day I got my Model 3 . It was all working fine until this week, I had loaded up for a works trip and got 'Frunk Latch failure'

I have disconnect the LED's for now, the error cleared and will have a look at the weekend when I get back

I also fitted the uprated struts on the front so the Frunk opens fully ,

Nice cheap easy to fit option , took about 9 weeks to come though ...

It could be the power sucking from the LED wire triggers the error. the 12v should draw around 1A, I am thinking 10watt total from 2.6meter LED strip. Anyway, if you want to keep the LED, suggest to buy a LED controller with brightness adjustment, see if the 50% brightness would keep the warning away.
Interesting. Do you think this could be the solution to the model Y issue? Might give it a shot if it is....

That's not a mistake, that's a symptom of systematic fraud in the Amazon warehouse. It's becoming surprisingly frequent so there's clearly a way for employees to get the iPad out of the building undetected. I can think of one easy method right off the bat.

The only effective solution would be to ban phones in the warehouses but that's a bit of a cannon to kill a mosquito policy.

Mr H - don't let Amazon screw you around on this. They will know perfectly well that it's not an innocent mistake and you should consider reporting to the police and going back to them with a crime reference number.

Reactions: Mr H and teaston