Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk LED Light Strip for Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have cured the issue of my non functioning frunk button after installing the LED strip to the EVOffer Frunk kit by using an old fashioned relay to switch the LED strip, using the grey wire to the existing frunk button to switch the relay. Everything is now working as it should. My research suggested that the EVOffer kit would not otherwise support the LED strip with the frunk button operating to close the frunk.

Reactions: teaston
I have cured the issue of my non functioning frunk button after installing the LED strip to the EVOffer Frunk kit by using an old fashioned relay to switch the LED strip, using the grey wire to the existing frunk button to switch the relay. Everything is now working as it should. My research suggested that the EVOffer kit would not otherwise support the LED strip with the frunk button operating to close the frunk.

Awesome! Do you have a link to the relay that you used? Thanks for solving this problem!!!!

Please do share how you wired it

Thanks in advance

Reactions: 101dals
@PeteSanders , I didn't manage to get around to testing my circuit over the weekend but I'm in a similar boat - EVOffer auto frunk on MIC-M3 2022. I previously spliced the two wires (grey to +ve and orange to -ve) on the frunk button connector to some spare LEDs I'd lying around. Initially both the button light and LED would work as expected but shortly after, the LED stops working but the frunk button light and functionality of closing remains. I've disconnected both batteries and reconnected but LED stopped working. So am guessing either e-fuse tripped or there simply not enough power from the auto-frunk and additional LED on the same thin line. So with the relay you've added (assuming the old school 4-pin 40a relay), I'm guessing.. the 30 goes directly to battery (with inline fuse); 86 goes to the frunk button grey wire (+ve); 85 goes to ground (or the orange -ve wire); and 87 goes to the +ve of the LED light?

Reactions: EVer
. So with the relay you've added (assuming the old school 4-pin 40a relay), I'm guessing.. the 30 goes directly to battery (with inline fuse); 86 goes to the frunk button grey wire (+ve); 85 goes to ground (or the orange -ve wire); and 87 goes to the +ve of the LED light?

I think you are right.

In this example pic, the dash mounted light switch is the frunk button +ve

Obviously add an inline fuse between 12v battery and the 30 before the relay

Attachments

• 32E2F165-57A9-44C8-8236-3DD27A5A5539.gif
    32E2F165-57A9-44C8-8236-3DD27A5A5539.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 117
I used this relay from Halfords and I'm using a 3m length of this LED Neon Strip, which I had to cut about 30cm off to fit the full rim of the frunk. I've also changed the fuse on the relay to 4A which is sufficient to power the LED. I've taken my power feed from the power tap wire provided in the EVOffer kit, after their inline fuse which connects to pin 30 of the relay. Pin 87 connects to the positive wire of the LED strip. Ground connection taken from the same bolt as advised in the EVOffer instruction video connected to pin 86 of the relay and also to the negative connection of the LED strip. This way no power is drawn through the EV offer circuitry, other than their main fuse, which is where the problems would seem to arise. Pin 85 of the relay connects to the grey wire of the frunk button. That should get LED and Frunk Button working all as it should.

Reactions: Ernest H
Those of you that have the EVoffer power frunk, can I ask how come you went with the EVoffer one instead of the Hansshow one please? (I have the Hansshow one sitting in my garage waiting to be fitted).
Recommendations following reviews by Tesla Raj and Frugal Tesla Guy YouTube Channels mainly, plus I liked the step by step installation video provided by Raymond Wu, the founder of EVOffer, formerly TeslaOffer. Frugal Tesla Guy initially had the Hansshow kit fitted to his car but then removed it to replace it with the TeslaOffer version which he said is far superior. In fairness though, I think both kits have since gone through several further versions with both benefitting from modifications and improvements. Plus of course I also felt that I was helping a smaller business again by choosing EVOffer! Have to say their service was very impressive with delivery quoted as being delayed due to excessive demand, yet the kit arrived from Hong Kong in just 5 days with no import duties or Vat charged!

Recommendations following reviews by Tesla Raj and Frugal Tesla Guy YouTube Channels mainly, plus I liked the step by step installation video provided by Raymond Wu, the founder of EVOffer, formerly TeslaOffer. Frugal Tesla Guy initially had the Hansshow kit fitted to his car but then removed it to replace it with the TeslaOffer version which he said is far superior. In fairness though, I think both kits have since gone through several further versions with both benefitting from modifications and improvements. Plus of course I also felt that I was helping a smaller business again by choosing EVOffer! Have to say their service was very impressive with delivery quoted as being delayed due to excessive demand, yet the kit arrived from Hong Kong in just 5 days with no import duties or Vat charged!
Thanks for the reply mate, I’d never heard of EVoffer/Teslaoffer before, but looks like it’s also a good option.

Both versions seem to have had a lot of new versions, so maybe their competition between each other has been the driving force behind that, and probably the great discounts available on them too, competition is great for consumers!

Thanks for the reply mate, I’d never heard of EVoffer/Teslaoffer before, but looks like it’s also a good option.

Both versions seem to have had a lot of new versions, so maybe their competition between each other has been the driving force behind that, and probably the great discounts available on them too, competition is great for consumers!
No problem. I had a M3LR prior to my MY so been following Tesla things for some time but knowing I wouldn't keep the 3 once the Y became available (Prefer a hatch than boot!)I was just studying but not buying these things! That gave both versions time to develop to where they are now. I think both versions are now on gen 5 and both now seem to have the 'waterproof' ECU which was, I think, the root of some of the early problems with the Hansshow as reported by Frugal Tesla Guy. Both companies now produce some very interesting products!

No problem. I had a M3LR prior to my MY so been following Tesla things for some time but knowing I wouldn't keep the 3 once the Y became available (Prefer a hatch than boot!)I was just studying but not buying these things! That gave both versions time to develop to where they are now. I think both versions are now on gen 5 and both now seem to have the 'waterproof' ECU which was, I think, the root of some of the early problems with the Hansshow as reported by Frugal Tesla Guy. Both companies now produce some very interesting products!
Yes, the Hansshow site could be very dangerous for your bank account! I already have the boot kick sensor installed, great bit of kit. I’d love the auto present handles and soft close doors, but they’re just silly money for what they actually do.

Reactions: PeteSanders
@teaston, to your question re: why evoffer over hannshow. Similar to @PeteSanders, first off were the reviews from Tesla Raj and Frugal Tesla Guy, but since then, numerous installations videos of both kits and updated hardware, shown me for example, the latch mechanism of the EVOffer was better designed and less fidgety; the ECU appeared better built (though both kits are now waterproof); and definitely the entire harness / loom are in general, better quality (connectors are cleaner, wrapped, etc). Thereafter the consideration was the pre and after sales support - from numerous forums to youtube vids I couldn't find a single negative feedback for Raymond or Warren from EVO/TO. Considering Covid has wrecked havoc all over the world, I wanted someone that I can actually contact in order to fit my kit over the weekend.

So I bit the bullet and made the purchase prior to my M3 being delivered, and once the kit was back in stock, it came via DHL Express which took 3 days from Hong Kong to Perth Australia. And yes, Raymond helped me troubleshoot the installation during the weekend over Telegram, as my MIC M3 RWD was the first install he worked on remotely because at the time, Hong Kong has yet to receive any MIC builts and with Ryzen chip, new battery +ve terminal, strut bracket, and the latch fitment, there were numerous minor issues but I got there at the end. Absolutely using the frunk many more times now that it can open and close without me lifting or pushing close.

And no, I'm not being paid by EVO/TO to reply to this thread. :p

awesome @PeteSanders and thank you, will get to it over the weekend as i've got all my parts sitting in garage. So your pin 85, which normally connects to the -ve of the switch, is actually connected to the +ve of the frunk button but pin 86, which is normally the +ve of the switch, connects to ground? I see what you're doing there.
I used this relay from Halfords and I'm using a 3m length of this LED Neon Strip, which I had to cut about 30cm off to fit the full rim of the frunk. I've also changed the fuse on the relay to 4A which is sufficient to power the LED. I've taken my power feed from the power tap wire provided in the EVOffer kit, after their inline fuse which connects to pin 30 of the relay. Pin 87 connects to the positive wire of the LED strip. Ground connection taken from the same bolt as advised in the EVOffer instruction video connected to pin 86 of the relay and also to the negative connection of the LED strip. This way no power is drawn through the EV offer circuitry, other than their main fuse, which is where the problems would seem to arise. Pin 85 of the relay connects to the grey wire of the frunk button. That should get LED and Frunk Button working all as it should.

awesome @PeteSanders and thank you, will get to it over the weekend as i've got all my parts sitting in garage. So your pin 85, which normally connects to the -ve of the switch, is actually connected to the +ve of the frunk button but pin 86, which is normally the +ve of the switch, connects to ground? I see what you're doing there.
Hi Ernest, Pin 85 and 86 are not polarity sensitive but what you quote may be best practice, I'm not sure? Many years ago I worked in an old electro-mechanical telephone exchange - I'm not an auto-electrician!! It really makes no difference in this instance as they're just either side of the relay coil. As long as one side is to Ground and the other to the switched positive (grey in the case of my 2022 MY) all should be well and work as you require. Relays seem a bit old fashioned on a Tesla but it's a simple way to achieve what we want it to do. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have success.

Hi Ernest, Pin 85 and 86 are not polarity sensitive but what you quote may be best practice, I'm not sure? Many years ago I worked in an old electro-mechanical telephone exchange - I'm not an auto-electrician!! It really makes no difference in this instance as they're just either side of the relay coil. As long as one side is to Ground and the other to the switched positive (grey in the case of my 2022 MY) all should be well and work as you require. Relays seem a bit old fashioned on a Tesla but it's a simple way to achieve what we want it to do. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have success.
No problem Pete and thanks for that. Nope, i'm neither an electrician but had been tinkering with auto, electrics, electronics, mechanics, etc, since the 80s.. and yet I'm still alive. :) Yes, I do agree on the point about installing a relay on a Tesla seems silly but at the same time, Tesla is software-locking the footwell lights for RWD versions so the playing field is open in my opinion. Will definitely get to test out the relay on the weekend and report back. cheers.

Reactions: PeteSanders
For those with Hansshow auto frunk and want a simple solution that does not break any oem or aftermarket wires, functions properly with the button to close frunk, and don’t mind paying more, I asked them to put their latest frunk led with easy connector (harness) and Bluetooth controller on amazon

That’s great!

I assume if I buy the latest v5 powered frunk and led strip direct from hansshow I wont have the issues discussed in this thread?