TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frunk measurement: front to back?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MikeK, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Apologies if this is covered someplace. I wasn't able to find this information via search of the forums or the Model S specs page. I was wondering if anybody knows what the measurement is from the farthest-back portion of the frunk (in the "microwave") to the farthest-forward part (behind the nosecone). I play bass guitar, and it would be super if my bass could fit in the frunk where it would be totally out of sight and locked securely if I stop for a meal someplace...

2. PeterW

PeterW Member

How about putting it in the storage compartment for the jump seats (assuming you are not getting the jump seats). Would it fit there? It would be out of sight.

3. MikeK

Hello Peter! Hope you had a good rest of your trip and a nice flight back home!

The case for my bass is about 48" long, so it won't fit in the concealed part of the rear compartment (although I think it should fit sideways in the storage area and be covered by the parcel shelf. Maybe.

I believe the "microwave" compartment in the frunk is wide enough to accommodate the bass case. And that compartment was reported to be 19" deep. So, if the frunk itself is a little over two feet deep, it should just fit. I think it'll be close!

4. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

#4 spatterso911, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Should hold a bass case from my memory, but space is pretty tight, the case will be angled. I play bass too and I'm concerned about the space as well. Currently playing Sadowsky, Fender, Cecilio, Alembic, Music Man, and Ibanez.

5. Mkent

Mkent Member

Being unable to play a musical instrument, I was excited the frunk was large enough to keep mt "tail gating" cooler hidden until I reach my parking spot at Wake Forest U!!!

6. MikeK

Cool I hope so!

Nice arsenal, BTW. :) I'm a Spector, Zon, MTD, NS Design and Steinberger guy myself. The Steinberger will fit for sure!! :-D I expect the MTD to be the tightest fit, apart from the NS, which doesn't have a chance.

7. Tommy

Tommy Member

Pick up a vintage Gibson EB-3 short scale (30.5"). Great sounding and about the size of a standard guitar with case.

8. 132

132 Member

No it won't fit. I checked to see if my golf clubs would fit and they do not. My driver is about 45 1/2" and it wouldn't fit even diagonally. Pretty sure it won't be a problem with the parcel shelf.

9. MikeK

Phooey! Thanks!

10. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Here you go Mike. Stopped in the PDX store today, tape measure in hand. Click to zoom on the image. Note, the depth of the box is 18".

IMG_1588m.jpg

11. Tommy

Tommy Member

Looking at those measurements, although a bass guitar case may not fit it looks like a spare tire canted at an angle might very well fit.

12. MikeK

Awesome diagram, thank you!

Sadly, my bass case is 9" too long for the frunk. I believe it will go sideways in back under the parcel shelf, though, although it may have to be at a semi-upright angle so that it can extend into the "bump out" behind the wheel well.

13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yeah I'm kicking myself for not measuring the back, while I was there with tape measure. Want to measure the foot well, the depth, width, and height with seats up, as well as with seats down.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Someone tried doing that in one of the stores; the 19" wheel didn't fit, even at an angle.

15. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Not surprising. The wheels are ~27.7 inches in diameter.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Reviving an old thread. Some additional dimensions that I was curious about are added in red.

GregDimensions2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping my tote would fit but apparently it's too tall. I think without the lid the frunk would close, but I don't want to be dealing with lid removal and reattachment. :(

PowerPackerLabel.jpg

PowerPackerInFrunk.jpg