Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk on refreshed MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new MS this week, upgrading from a 2013 60, roughly number 4000 built. The changes in the overall quality of the car are huge, night and day from my original. I personally like the new styling and center console, but the major disappointment is the frunk. The frunk on my classic was huge and I often filled it. My new MS is RWD with no hepa filter, but still has the tiny frunk . Terrible. I'd love to find a way to get some of that space back.

I also thought the frunk was tiny when checking a facelift out at the Buena Park SC. I'm the opposite though, I've only opened it to show people, and nothing else.

Your thread may be about the frunk, but can you elaborate about the upgrades? I am most curious about overall quietness of new vs a 2012 or 2013.

Sure, so I went from a 2013 MS 60 to the new 2016 60. Along the way I got rid of the air suspension, rear facing seats and upgraded stereo.

It's a new car, so maybe some of this is just newness.. but the handling feels tighter and acceleration is better. Overall quality of how the doors, sunroof, frunk and trunk operate is much improved. For example, the motors on my original sunroof were pretty noisy. The new one is smooth and silent. Closing the trunk was more like slamming and something you would expect on a Kia (sorry Kia owners). The new trunk, even though it is manual on mine, closed much more solidly.

The new seats are great as well. I can't tell the difference between the air and coil suspension and I can't tell the difference between my old "upgraded" stereo and the new stock stereo.

Who knows, maybe I'm just in awe because autopilot is amazing.

I'm guessing since my classic was pretty early, it was either partially hand built or they just hadn't gotten the tolerances dialed in on the assembly line.

I also thought the frunk was tiny when checking a facelift out at the Buena Park SC. I'm the opposite though, I've only opened it to show people, and nothing else.

Your thread may be about the frunk, but can you elaborate about the upgrades? I am most curious about overall quietness of new vs a 2012 or 2013.

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
I'm in the same boat with a RWD 70 arriving soon and no HEPA filter. I'm not sure the market wouldn't be big enough for someone to do it, but seems like it might be possible for an aftermarket plastic part to replace the current space and extend back into the empty space. Even if it can't be used, I wonder if filling the empty space, which would be pretty big, with lightweight foam or sound dampening. A cavernous empty space would add to road noise in theory, do you think that would help road noise at all? I decided on RWD back when there was a bigger frunk and also reduced motor wine from the front was also a factor.