Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk open alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Just recently I have been getting alerts flashing on the screen of my 2015 Model S. I get a double beep and the screen flashes a frunk unlatched warning. The screen warning is very brief (fraction of a second). I'm also getting frequent car alarm triggered warnings.
I've checked the frunk and it is latched securely. I'm thinking that the frunk open/close sensor is defective or mis-adjusted to be triggering these warnings.
Does anybody have any idea of where to look for the sensor or what could be causing this?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I wondered that, as well. I just recently had similar "loose frunk" messages, oddly enough not long after the recall inspection of the frunk (with no repairs so far as I know). I will wait and see if the messages recur.
My false "loose frunk" messages have continued intermittently, as well as other (apparently) false alarms. There was a period of nearly 2 weeks between the first instance and the second, but now they are occurring more or less regularly, but not every time I drive. In the past few days, I have had groups including the loose frunk, low coolant (scary!), and then my security alarm sounded several time when parked after the frunk and coolant alarms.
Two other failures are part of the group I see: The AutoPilot cannot be activated while the frunk and coolant alarms are displayed. Plus, the right turn signal does not actuate the visual indicator on the instrument cluster display and dose not make any audible sound. The left turn signal displays normally. I have not been able to determine if the right turn signal is working and simply not displayed on the screen, or not working. I tried actuating the emergency flasher and got out of the car, and all four signals are actually flashing.
Yesterday I made 4 trips with the car. In the first, second and third trips, we got the false alarms. the security alarm sounded at least once between the first and second trips (while I was at church -- not good!) and again at least twice after the third trip. The fourth trip proceeded normally, with no false alarms, and AutoPilot worked. But overnight, the security alarm actuated at least once.
The security alarms turn off by themselves after a few seconds, but are obnoxious to people, so after it happened a few times, I shut off the alarm in the Security panel in the MCU.
Meanwhile, I have made a service appointment. The first I could get is two weeks from tomorrow. Initially I was scheduled for mobile service, but when I modified the appointment to add the security alarm, it was switched to a service center -- not sure if that is coincidental or reflects the larger scope.
I hope it turns out to be a faulty ground (as suggested by another similar thread), because that sounds straightforward to fix. But if it is the frunk latch, I am not sure how that would tie to the coolant level or AP problems.

Here is a link to the thread with the discussion of the faulty ground issue: Ground Stud Nut over torqued

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
My false "loose frunk" messages have continued intermittently, as well as other (apparently) false alarms. There was a period of nearly 2 weeks between the first instance and the second, but now they are occurring more or less regularly, but not every time I drive. In the past few days, I have had groups including the loose frunk, low coolant (scary!), and then my security alarm sounded several time when parked after the frunk and coolant alarms.
Two other failures are part of the group I see: The AutoPilot cannot be activated while the frunk and coolant alarms are displayed. Plus, the right turn signal does not actuate the visual indicator on the instrument cluster display and dose not make any audible sound. The left turn signal displays normally. I have not been able to determine if the right turn signal is working and simply not displayed on the screen, or not working. I tried actuating the emergency flasher and got out of the car, and all four signals are actually flashing.
Yesterday I made 4 trips with the car. In the first, second and third trips, we got the false alarms. the security alarm sounded at least once between the first and second trips (while I was at church -- not good!) and again at least twice after the third trip. The fourth trip proceeded normally, with no false alarms, and AutoPilot worked. But overnight, the security alarm actuated at least once.
The security alarms turn off by themselves after a few seconds, but are obnoxious to people, so after it happened a few times, I shut off the alarm in the Security panel in the MCU.
Meanwhile, I have made a service appointment. The first I could get is two weeks from tomorrow. Initially I was scheduled for mobile service, but when I modified the appointment to add the security alarm, it was switched to a service center -- not sure if that is coincidental or reflects the larger scope.
I hope it turns out to be a faulty ground (as suggested by another similar thread), because that sounds straightforward to fix. But if it is the frunk latch, I am not sure how that would tie to the coolant level or AP problems.

Here is a link to the thread with the discussion of the faulty ground issue: Ground Stud Nut over torqued

I can imagine how frustrating it can be. Let us know what's behind it.

Just curious, are you still on MCU1? If yes, have you done the eMMC recall yet?

Reactions: David29
So not eligible for the recall?
I guess I would have been, but I have an Extended Service Agreement, and I paid for the replacement with that, so my cost would have been no more than $200. Otherwise it was going to cost something like $1500 as I recall. Plus I had a second major mechanical failure (parking brake calipers) repaired at the same time, so I figured that Tesla would argue that the most they would owe me would be half of the $200 deductible, or $100. I decided it would not be worth the aggravation to try to collect the $100...

So, the car was repaired this week at a local Tesla Service Center. The cause of the "loose frunk" message was a faulty ground, as I suspected. The SC did not give me details, so I do not know if it was corroded or loose or broken, or what. The invoice simply said, "Correction: Grounding Stud - Front Rail - RH" In any case, that seems to have eliminated the false alarms for the frunk latch, the security horn, and the issues with the right headlamp. But the SC said the low coolant level was a valid alert. They diagnosed that as leaking 3-way and 4-way valves and replaced the associated valves (which turned out to be the larger task for the appointment).
I do not know if the Autopilot issues were related or simply coincidental. I found the wiring diagram for the car online in Tesla's free site for service info (good resource!). I could not find any connection from the radar or other AP-related hardware to the ground point that was faulty.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke