Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk opening by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past few months I've been having problems with my M3 LR where the frunk randomly opens by itself - all I get is an app notification. It happens randomly, without pattern, both when plugged in or not, and at home or elsewhere. It isn't super frequent - maybe once a week - but I'm on absolute tenterhooks and becoming concerned about leaving my car, well, anywhere.

The car itself has no mods, so no SEXY buttons or frunk opening kit. Software on the car and app are both up to date.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Agreed - hadn't really thought about it happening in motion as all events so far have been whilst parked, but it's definitely a possibility.

Nothing in the frunk to trigger the emergency release either.
Yeah, hopefully if it does happen in motion the secondary latch actually still functions. (Even if the frunk is popped you can't open it once you put the car in drive (have to re-release it)...not sure exactly the mechanism but hopefully that interlock is working.)

For the past few months I've been having problems with my M3 LR where the frunk randomly opens by itself - all I get is an app notification. It happens randomly, without pattern, both when plugged in or not, and at home or elsewhere. It isn't super frequent - maybe once a week - but I'm on absolute tenterhooks and becoming concerned about leaving my car, well, anywhere.

The car itself has no mods, so no SEXY buttons or frunk opening kit. Software on the car and app are both up to date.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Do you have the widget Tesla app on your phone? If so remove the frunk option from one of your quick options. Something that was happening to me and a lot of others on a different thread was inadvertent pressing of this button when opening the widget or sliding screens.
Hopefully that fixes it for you as well.
Note that if you change it to something like AC you might turn that on but it will also confirm that’s what it was. I hope that helps.

Reactions: techno79
Do you have the widget Tesla app on your phone? If so remove the frunk option from one of your quick options. Something that was happening to me and a lot of others on a different thread was inadvertent pressing of this button when opening the widget or sliding screens.
Hopefully that fixes it for you as well.
Note that if you change it to something like AC you might turn that on but it will also confirm that’s what it was. I hope that helps.
Thanks for suggesting this - just happened to me, and I’m almost 100% sure it was the widget

I had this happening on my car as well. I would randomly get notifications thru the app that my frunk was open or the trunk was open. Turned out, it was my 3 year old constantly playing with the Tesla app on my wife’s phone. I’m sure your issue is legit, but just thought I would share just in case this is happening to you.