Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk opening issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2016 Model S. Went to put windshield wiper fluid in it and can't seem to open up the Frunk. Either a) I simply can't remember how I have done it or b) something else is going on. I apologize if this is a stupid post as I really have googled this and searched. Best I can tell is once you open the Frunk inside the frunk should open freely right?

Anyway, what happens is I press the button. The frunk pops up and everything seems fine....BUT it is caught on the metal bracket in the front center some how. It is kind of like other hoods where you would press a lever and it would finally lift up. I don't recall that though on my Tesla. TBH been a while since I opened my frunk and now I am questioning everything.

Any insight would be awesome.

Dave

Reactions: MikkoJ
Unless you open the Frunk up after pressing OPEN within 3 minutes, the secondary lock locks and secures the frunk from popping open. You likely will need to manually open the secondary latch. Not easy or comfortable for your hand, but it can be done. There are youtube videos on doing this. Here is one for the 2018 refresh, but I think your secondary latch is similar. Starting at 1:51 Press the second latch to the right while pressing down on the hood on your hand, as the secondary latch is curved so it won't just slide right without pressing the latch (hood) downward.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
BTW, I popped the frunk when I was picking up my car, but didn't get to inspect the frunk before it locked. So, this was the first very important thing Tesla sales folks showed me on how to fix the half-popped and locked frunk.

Unless you open the Frunk up after pressing OPEN within 3 minutes, the secondary lock locks and secures the frunk from popping open. You likely will need to manually open the secondary latch. Not easy or comfortable for your hand, but it can be done. There are youtube videos on doing this. Here is one for the 2018 refresh, but I think your secondary latch is similar. Starting at 1:51 Press the second latch to the right while pressing down on the hood on your hand, as the secondary latch is curved so it won't just slide right without pressing the latch (hood) downward.
Thanks so much for this video. I will try it this morning.

BTW, I popped the frunk when I was picking up my car, but didn't get to inspect the frunk before it locked. So, this was the first very important thing Tesla sales folks showed me on how to fix the half-popped and locked frunk.
Do you know if this is the same as a 2021 MSP refresh? I cannot get mine open since I picked up the vehicle.