Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk opening itself after 2022.36.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW (which is not much, I am aware), I really like the idea of these buttons, but tesla changes "so much, all the time" that I dont want to be chasing issues like this all the time so I dont have them (or any other third party thing other than a wireless charging pad).

Third party 12v Li-Ion batteries throw codes, USB drives work then dont work then work again, etc.

@DrWhoDey I didnt mean my previous post quite the way it came out, as I re read it. The point I was (poorly) trying to make its common for people to leave this stuff out, either accidentally or on purpose. I didnt mean to imply one or the other in this case, but re reading my post it certainly seems like I was implying one or the other, and for that I apologize.

I work in IT (system support / troubleshooting), and its very common in my day job for some OS update or other to cause issues with some "previously working" thing that it interacts with, and its also common for someone to tell me "well I didnt consider that thing because it was working fine before" when I ask them "what do you have connected", so I think I brought a bit too much of my "day job" to that post.

I apologize (publicly here) for any insinuations perceived.

We're good, man. :)

Reactions: jjrandorin
Walk away feature isn’t working as well
You mean as in generally the walk away lock the car feature?

OK, I have an MYP 2022. Last week I got the current firmware update for the car, and then things started getting really weird.

I believe that I have determined that the issue is the S3XY buttons. It appears that the firmware version of the controller is not compatible.

They do not appear to have a production ready version of their firmware for the most recent firmware being delivered by Tesla. They do appear to have a beta firmware which was not installed because I don’t have beta firmware selected.

I use them in order to turn off regen breaking, more to the point to turn it down so it’s not so obnoxious. (unlike my prior M3LR, my MYP offer is no way to throttle back regen breaking, Which has caused my vehicle to be nicknamed “the vomit comet,” by the family due to the fact that sensitive people end up throwing up in the car…)

Anyway, onto the symptoms:

- autopilot disables with an error
- Cruise control will not enable
- 7 MPH restriction

Threat I started can be found here:

honestly, the S3XY buttons would be smart if they would include having the firmware in the controller check to see if it’s currently using a compatible car firmware… Or turn off. I can actually see situations where this would’ve been bad and who knows what other problems would’ve happened that weren’t just odd aspects to auto pilot or cruise control not working.

So this is weird. Got 2022.36.2 OTA last night. Went to the garage this morning and my frunk was open.

Closed it. Unplugged the charger. The frunk opened.

Closed it. Rebooted the car. Opened the driver door to get out. The frunk opened.

Shut the M3 down via Controls > Safety > Power Off. Waited 5 minutes. Re-entered the vehicle, closed the door, opened the door. The frunk popped open.

It's a new feature apparently. Lol.

I'm guessing the next step is a Hard Reboot, but I'm not planning to monkey around with the 12V battery.... I've opened a service ticket, maybe they have a suggestion. Service can handle this.
After update 2022.36.2 my frunk will open itself under these conditions only.
I'm out of the car. I open the left front driver's door.
I open the left rear passenger door, and the frunk opens on its own.

I honestly see the S3XY button setup as a problem waiting to happen. Tesla updates their software regularly and can easily affect the function of the accessory. The device is able to send a variety of commands to the cars computer which is really cool however when software is constantly changed by Tesla with no regard or input from the other, there are bound to be issues popping up here and there.

Good luck, just make sure you remove the unit when taking your car in for servicing when weird things happen as Tesla will automatically see this device as an issue and may decline warranty work and/or charge you for work done as it was caused by a third part device.

Reactions: Georgesb2
I honestly see the S3XY button setup as a problem waiting to happen. Tesla updates their software regularly and can easily affect the function of the accessory. The device is able to send a variety of commands to the cars computer which is really cool however when software is constantly changed by Tesla with no regard or input from the other, there are bound to be issues popping up here and there.

Good luck, just make sure you remove the unit when taking your car in for servicing when weird things happen as Tesla will automatically see this device as an issue and may decline warranty work and/or charge you for work done as it was caused by a third part device.
That's true. The software in the aftermarket S3XY buttons system is always catching up to impactful software changes to the car by Tesla.
Normally there's no impact, periodically there is.
I like the unit though, especially to see battery details. I'd rather Tesla provide the data but they don't.