Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk opening on its own, also during drive - Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AustinP

Apr 6, 2015
Belgium
This is a post just to document a recent issue with my frunk opening on its own.:eek:

Short version: the issue was simply that the emergency frunk button was blocked pushed in, and whatever (temperature fluctuation, bump in the ride or specific vibration) would be enough to make it act as if pressed, and open the frunk.
This whether the car was parked, which also triggered the alarm, or while driving.
I pushed it to unblocked it, vacuumed it for any micro dirt/dust around it and it is all good now.

Longer version

The next day following SW update 2020.16.2.1, my car's alarm triggered. I was in a confcall, so my wife went to check. She came back & said: "I didn't do anything but press the key and the alarm stopped".
I thought I might have left the roof open, so I opened the app and noticed the frunk to be open. My dumb reaction was: "Did you press on the key & open the frunk?".
I forgot about it but later that day, again the alarm went off.
I went to the car and found again the trunk open. Then again later. Then the next day a couple of times. Happily, not happening at night.

Ok, annoying, also for the neighbours: I sent a mail to the SeC to ask about this. As unnecessary alarm triggering was something that also happened a few years back with another update, I had put it on the pile of "new bug that will be fixed in the next update"

The next day we had planned to visit the in-laws. Kids and wife ask if I'm not worried the trunk will open.
I was confident it would NOT, as the car does not allow to open frunk or trunk while driving... suffice to say I was wrong and indeed within a miles from home the trunk opened.

This was upsetting as a very dangerous situation. Fortunately, it happened at slow speed. We drove back and took my wife's car.

When over there, I couldn't help but to checked TMC and found a similar issue reported: a TM3 where the owner had his frunk opening while driving. Except it happened once and the cause was a handbag loose in the frunk that hit the button when driving.
The 3's button is prone to such situation, the S' not really. Also, my frunk was empty, so it could not be the same cause.

Yet, when we were back home, this button was a good clue: sure enough, it was pressed in. Pushing it "released" it.

I had been doing a lot of back & forth in the week to the junk yard and used the frunk to load bags & other trash.
I guess some dust settled there, something pushed the button partially, and it got "jammed".
Note that it was visual clean, no obvious dirt or dust.
Who knows.

Anyway, hope this helps someone someday too.:)