Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk opening randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen that this topic has been discussed before, but a recent software update may be related to my problem. I've had my Model 3 for one month; had to have an airbag system module replaced after 3 days. Software was updated a few days ago; now version 2022.40.4.2. My Tesla iPhone app has shown the frunk open 2 times since the update. Fortunately the vehicle was parked both times, but this could be a real issue while driving. Since some of the related posts show this problem occurring under version 2022.36.2, it seems that software updates have failed to address the issue. I am quickly becoming disappointed with this car, which is too bad since there is so much to like about it otherwise. I suppose a service request is in order. The question is: does Tesla know exactly what is causing this event and what has to be done to fix it? Given past posts, apparently not.

If its actually a bug in the software its still a safety concern. The reason they dont have the latch is because in drive theres no longer a button to open the frunk thus it cant be trigger by the user. If its a software bug the signal may be sent without the need for user input thus triggerign something with no mechanical backup system in place.

Its hard to know. I've gotten the message that my frunk was open when I've been out and about and I never use the frunk as the trunk is more convenient. I always assumed I accidently opened it but who knows. Its not really re-createable so I just hope it never happens.

Upvote 0
I seem to remember that in order to open the frunk from the Tesla app on my phone, you had to touch the icon, then confirm it, now you do not have to confirm. Am I losing my mind or was this a feature in past?If so, wonder why they changed it? Seems to me we could mistakably pop the frunk if not near the car and it would remain open.

Upvote 0
I've seen that this topic has been discussed before, but a recent software update may be related to my problem. I've had my Model 3 for one month; had to have an airbag system module replaced after 3 days. Software was updated a few days ago; now version 2022.40.4.2. My Tesla iPhone app has shown the frunk open 2 times since the update. Fortunately the vehicle was parked both times, but this could be a real issue while driving. Since some of the related posts show this problem occurring under version 2022.36.2, it seems that software updates have failed to address the issue. I am quickly becoming disappointed with this car, which is too bad since there is so much to like about it otherwise. I suppose a service request is in order. The question is: does Tesla know exactly what is causing this event and what has to be done to fix it? Given past posts, apparently not.
So you say it shows open in the app, now read closely………has the frunk been open when you physically looked at checked the trunk? It may be a sensor not showing it closed but could be( has happened in the past)

Upvote 0
The need for a second button press to open the frunk from the app definitely went away recently.

It went away depending on proximity of your phone to the car. Try it. You can trigger the frunk open command from anywhere, but the confirmation button appearing or not has to do with how close you are to the car. Park in the driveway of your house, go inside away from the car, then open the frunk via app. You will get the confirmation.

Walk to the car, close it, then open it again from the app. If you are within phone key range, you wont get the confirmation.

Im not participating in the other part of this discussion though since I have never experienced the frunk opening without command, and have only very sporadically read about it here unless it was related to some third party thing or other (auto frunk open kits or s3xy buttons).

I have seen a few people mention it without that, but not many.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Upvote 0
It does, just not a manual lever. Click the open frunk button then walk away for a bit. When you return the frunk will be open but you should not be able to open it.
Yeah, another discussion here:
Model 3: Frunk pops open on its own

The secondary latch is electronically actuated, but there is still one in the car. It's required by federal law. As I pointed out, Tesla's secondary latch had been far more reliable than other manufacturers. I haven't read any reports of Model 3 having their hoods fly open when driving (while the new Corvette for example did, even though it was made in much lower volume and for a shorter time).

The link I gave actually describes the system in detail. There are two actuators. One latch opens the frunk 1 inch. The other deactivates the secondary latch. The system seems to fail closed (with no power, the secondary latch remains closed), so there have been reports of a stuck latch, but no reports of one flying open.
There is also a hood open sensor, which may be faulty and can cause the app to report the hood being open when it is not actually open.
Tesla Frunk Hood Stuck - Won't Open

Upvote 0
It went away depending on proximity of your phone to the car. Try it. You can trigger the frunk open command from anywhere, but the confirmation button appearing or not has to do with how close you are to the car. Park in the driveway of your house, go inside away from the car, then open the frunk via app. You will get the confirmation.

Walk to the car, close it, then open it again from the app. If you are within phone key range, you wont get the confirmation.

I just tried exactly that from my house, and yes, I did get the “Are You Sure“ query. Interestingly, I tried it a second time to grab a screenshot to post, and on the second attempt no query. Great - it’s pouring down rain and I have to go out in it to manually close the frunk! Thanks a lot! 😉

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
My frunk was opening randomly recently. I think my Tesla widget (android) was the culprit. I would open the frunk from the widget on my home screen and later find that the frunk had opened again. I think the command was being re-sent when the widget refreshed. I now only open the frunk once the app is open and have had no problem since.

• Informative
Reactions: Randy-12
Upvote 0