Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I just got an email from Tesla about the Frunk latch recall. Anybody else get this yet? I have a 2014 Model S.

But this reminds me - isn't there also a recall for the media screen? I got this a while ago and was told to hang tight. Anyone who what the status of that is?

I just got an email from Tesla about the Frunk latch recall. Anybody else get this yet? I have a 2014 Model S.

But this reminds me - isn't there also a recall for the media screen? I got this a while ago and was told to hang tight. Anyone who what the status of that is?
I have a 2016 and haven't got any email about the latch recall.

I got the recall for the eMMC replacement, but as someone else mentioned unless you're having problems with the MCU, it won't get fixed either.

I just looked back at my emails from Tesla and on July 16, 2021 I received the following:

WHAT TESLA WILL DO
At no charge to you, Tesla will replace the VCM daughterboard with one containing an enhanced eMMC. The repair will take approximately 1.5 hours to complete.​
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Please first check that your vehicle is running software version 2020.48.12 or any newer release, which addresses any potential loss of rearview camera image, defrost/defog, and turn signal lighting. You can check the software version running on your vehicle by tapping 'Controls,' then 'Software.' If your vehicle is not running this software version, then please accept the latest pending software update for installation by tapping the yellow clock icon at the top of the vehicle touchscreen and following the prompts.

Parts to replace the VCM daughterboard on your vehicle are available. Please schedule a service appointment through your Tesla mobile app. Alternatively, if you wish to contact your nearest Tesla Service Center or require technical assistance, please visit www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus.

Got the email for the latch recall. Nothing else recently. I think I actually had the recall for the eMMC for my destroyed 2016 S. Not sure if it applies to the 2017, but I think it does.

Ironically, the frunk latch got sticky a couple of months ago and ended up lubricating it - seems to be fine now. I'll probably leave these recalls unless a problem comes up simply because I'm waiting (forever) on a refreshed Model X delivery.