Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Reinforcement Part Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was removing panels in the Frunk area near the 12 Volt battery/air inlet. I found Part Number 1131205-00-C >PP-GF20< , broken and seems to be poorly designed. The Assembly, which has two parts is joined by a (3) very slim silvers of material which its not structurally strong enough to hold up to pushing a panel fastener in and not allow the panel to be fully fasten. You may what to check yours (theirs (2) of them. (Needs to be redesigned)

Frunk Reinforcement Assy — Postimage.org
IMG 7076 — Postimage.org
IMG 7075 — Postimage.org

Haven't heard back from support. I designed a fix, printed it out 3D and bonded it to the upper portion of the part. I looked at the other part in the car while i was installing my upgraded part and it was in failure mode.

other part: IMG 7083 — Postimage.org
other part: IMG 7082 — Postimage.org

3D part bonded to other part: 3d upgrade part — Postimage.org

Basically these parts prevent the top panel cover over the fresh airlet allowing the front panel fasteners from engaging. So if if you hear flapping on the under frunk hood this is could be the problem

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
I match the dimensions the stock part and found the front panel fasteners of the panel would not engage. So I added .200 material thickness to the 3D replacement part/Repair to stock part. Now I get full front panel fasteners engagement. Airlet panel gap.jpg
Airlet panel gap.jpg
Not full seated.jpg
Seated fasteners.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: chinnam3
Nope, still same old snickers.

There are also knock-offa that can be had on eBay Motors etc, OE like with a slightly inferrior finish and no Tesla part no stamping. Same design flaw.

I used your inserts with a set of new OE parts and they have held up great through multiple frunk tub and panel removals. No damage and a great fit each time.

I checked coolant level since day 1 on my 2021 (yes, it was low), and those damn parts were broken as well. I haven't opened a service visit, but might do that if Tesla would give me new parts, now that I know of a fix (where can I get that orange square, to fix it? Thx). Hopefully somebody can let me know if Tesla would give me those new parts. I also had a couple of those white plugs missing.

At any rate, I 'fixed' the gap problem very easily: I removed all white plugs on top and below the part, since the top ones can't be engaged either, even when nothing is broken (just not rigid enough). So just left the plugs on both left and right side, which I think are 3 each, and it latches perfectly, with no gaps, and no movement. Plus I added Tesa tape just in case, so zero noises, even when you bang on the part. It has stayed like that for 6 months now, and it's much easier to remove than with all plugs engaged, so not sure I want to go back to stock. Ha ha. But would probably put 2 more plugs, where those support parts go.

Hopefully Tesla has both those support blocks, and the extra plugs, and can bring them to my house (the dealer is like 2 miles away). Thank you.
JC

Last edited:
I found a solution on thingiverse. It's a sleeve that fits tightly over. I also glued it. Then you just clip it back onto the tub like normal. Works great and super simple.

Model 3 frunk reinforcement part by joanquro
This is solution I'd like to use, but I don't have a 3D printer. Is anybody selling these things in BLACK, and made with a strong plastic (maybe ABS)? I'd like to buy a pair, to put those things back. Thank you.

FYI - I'm rather sure these are actually designed to break as part the Euro pedestrian safety standards.

Saw this post another day and totally agree with it.

My funny story is
  • I had the same issue after picking up a 2021 TM3 last month (built in 2021/05), apparently this part (left side like OP) has already been broken even for a brand new car. 😂
  • Added this issue along with my another service request. A mobile technician came and broke the 2nd piece (right side) while examining what part needed to be ordered. 😂😂
  • Follow-up service appointment this morning, another technician came and replaced both pieces. "Luckily", I broke it again (left side) when I was double checking if the "apron" can be fully fastened. 😂😂😂 (in my case the apron wouldn't clip even with this piece, it just feels more solid than leaving a gap there)
Now I just don't care anymore, maybe a good chance to "cure" my OCD.

This is solution I'd like to use, but I don't have a 3D printer. Is anybody selling these things in BLACK, and made with a strong plastic (maybe ABS)? I'd like to buy a pair, to put those things back. Thank you.

I made them in petg. They've been holding up fine. If you want I will print them for you but you have to pay shipping and some money for filament/electric/time.