Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk shortcut on the Tesla app, can I change it to the trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the home screen of the Tesla app it shows AC, Frunk, and Door Locks as the 3 quick icons, but if I want to open the trunk you have to go to Controls and then select it. Do people actually open the Frunk more than the Trunk? Can these be swapped? I don't see any way to but thought I'd check.

On the home screen of the Tesla app it shows AC, Frunk, and Door Locks as the 3 quick icons, but if I want to open the trunk you have to go to Controls and then select it. Do people actually open the Frunk more than the Trunk? Can these be swapped? I don't see any way to but thought I'd check.

Yes. I almost NEVER open the trunk from the app. I just walk up to it and press the physical button.

Since there is no physical button for the frunk, unless I am already inside the car, I must use the app for the frunk.

Yes. I almost NEVER open the trunk from the app. I just walk up to it and press the physical button.

Since there is no physical button for the frunk, unless I am already inside the car, I must use the app for the frunk.

Thanks! So many sensors in the car I can't believe there's no wave your foot to open the trunk like every other car out there lol. I miss that from my BMW so much easier to just wave your foot under it.

Ah, and since the phone-as-fob isn't working reliably, it doesn't recognize you, so you can't just open the trunk by pressing on the button on the trunk.

I've never had the phone as key not work ever so no issue with that or pressing the button. But when I'm walking to the car with groceries for example I like to open the trunk then while walking up or from in the house if I'm heading out with things. I can pull down and do it from the notification that always is displayed but often it says not connected, so opening the app usually is the easiest. Not a huge deal going to Controls and then Trunk; just thought it was odd that the Frunk would have a prominent shortcut when it seems like it would be used far less than the trunk.

I've never had the phone as key not work ever so no issue with that or pressing the button. But when I'm walking to the car with groceries for example I like to open the trunk then while walking up or from in the house if I'm heading out with things. I can pull down and do it from the notification that always is displayed but often it says not connected, so opening the app usually is the easiest. Not a huge deal going to Controls and then Trunk; just thought it was odd that the Frunk would have a prominent shortcut when it seems like it would be used far less than the trunk.
OK, interesting. I just would assume that if you're walking with groceries and capable of fumbling around with your phone to unlock it via button, you'd be capable of pressing the button on the trunk. But perhaps not. I've barely had my car a week and hardly drove it because I was waiting on PPF, so I don't have enough experience to know. :)

If the notification thingy is not connected I doubt the app itself will be.

If the notification thingy is not connected I doubt the app itself will be.

Exactly, but at least opening the app makes it connect, where the notification doesn't. That's why I prefer using the app since at least when it says connected you know it's going to work is all.

OK, interesting. I just would assume that if you're walking with groceries and capable of fumbling around with your phone to unlock it via button, you'd be capable of pressing the button on the trunk. But perhaps not. I've barely had my car a week and hardly drove it because I was waiting on PPF, so I don't have enough experience to know. :)

Yeah, yeah I know lol. It's not so much a hands free thing, just more in general. Seems like more people would prefer the trunk having a quick shortcut on the app home screen vs the frunk is all. I get nervous I'll dent the frunk plus it's so small and holds the charging cable and tire repair kit already that it's rare I'd use it. That and the fact there's room for the trunk icon to be on the home screen as well!

Not that you shouldn't want what you want, of course, but I think the reason the app has a button for the frunk rather than trunk is that the latter can easily be opened by hand while the frunk cannot. Both would be nice, just like on the screen.

I had the same question when I first got the car also. There is no way to change the button, however I have found a work around for me. If you are on android, if you pull down on the tesla app notification that's always in your notification bar, you'll see that the open truck button is right there. This is even faster than opening the app for me.

The use the open trunk button because I have the auto opening structs.