TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Frunk-sized Hard Sided Cooler?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kingleonidas, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kingleonidas

kingleonidas Member

I have discovered the endless joy of camping in my 2018 Model S, especially with the addition of the Dreamcase. After a couple of weekend trips, I've determined that there is one thing I need...

Does anyone know of a hard-sided cooler that is just the right size for the front trunk?! I have looked at the Yeti roadie, and it fit like a glove except the frunk lid won't close... tragic no doubt, but also saved me hundreds of dollars. I am going to try to look at an Otterbox venture... but based on the exterior dimensions it does not look promising.

The idea is to have a cooler in the frunk, which is hard-shell, ideally has a drain, and that I don't need to remove it from the frunk throughout the trip unless I'm draining it.

Any insight? Thanks!

2. DukeofURL

DukeofURL Member

Someone had mentioned in another thread that if you remove the carpeted lining in the frunk, there's a drain hole that drains to the exterior of the car. If this in fact true, the frunk itself could be used as an ice bin for your beverages BUT likely wouldn't keep the ice for that long.

"Frunk cooler" sounds like another opportunity for Dreamcase (or some other enterprising individual) to capitalize on!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

Found this in a thread recently on TMC. I do not own it so can't speak to fit.

• Love x 1
  4. mike25

mike25 Member

Not hard sided but we use the yeti hopper flip 18. Works pretty well and you get space for snacks on each side.

• Love x 1
  5. kingleonidas

kingleonidas Member

Already emailed them ;) lol. Dreamcooler, for sure. Yeah really though, to make use of the space and have a cooler with either handles, or side utility spaces that "land" on the side shelfs of the frunk... that would be golden. --\_/--

One thing I won't be doing is removing the carpet and using the frunk as a cooler, but I do appreciate the tip!

6. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

It would be incredible if someone can integrate a small fridge/freezer there and have it run of the car energy. It would need some venting to let the hot air out though.

7. Cincinnatus

Cincinnatus Member

DC50D250-444C-4E20-98E2-485234A1D079.jpeg AB1B0DD2-6448-49EC-A0A8-B3E5C05B8D00.jpeg
    Using an Igloo “Marine Contour” 25 quart cooler from Wal Mart. $20.00. Worked like a charm for a few road trips. Kept milk and perishables cold for the kiddos. Best of luck finding the right solution for you.

8. kingleonidas

kingleonidas Member

#8 kingleonidas, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Boom, finally! Went to Cabela's and after a couple weeks my search is over. Acknowledging that I sacrificed a couple of my main criteria... but after seeing this in person, it's functionality and quality (not to mention the perfect fit).... it was a done deal. Otterbox Trooper 20.

Bottle opener and shoulder strap included ;)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
  9. DukeofURL

DukeofURL Member

Tried it with a cooler I already had, about 1.5-2” too high... Missed it by THAT much!

Attached Files:

• Funny x 1
  10. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

For a refrigerator one idea might be to use a solid state refrigerator that uses a Peltier effect module. They work by a temperature differential between the cool inside of the cooler and outside. They run on 12V.
    The disadvantage with them is they draw a fair amount of power and the cooling efficiency depends on the ambient temperature. The warmer it is, the less efficient the cooling.

11. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

A refrigerator, no matter what design needs to dump the heat somewhere. It won’t work well in an enclosed frunk, unless there is a way to vent the heat to the outside.