TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frunk, slight dent

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by chicagotsla, Jul 8, 2013.

1. chicagotsla

chicagotsla Member

I noticed today that my Frunk has a slight dent where I usually do the second tap to latch it.

Anyone else?

I've been super careful because it does feel a bit flimsy.

2. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

It doesn't feel all that sturdy to me either so I'm super careful. When I picked up the car, the DE guy was very clear on how to close the frunk (don't slam, push gently) so it's likely they have had complaints.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I always use the two-handed palm down press right in the center where the latch is. My DS was also very specific about this.

4. Zextraterrestrial

mine too. then I went and pushed with one hand and realized why they say 2 hands! no dent though.

I use a knee on one corner and a hand on the other usually.. works good and you can carry stuff too

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Why this was not electric open on the tech package is beyond my comprehension....

I refuse to use it.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I believe it has something to do with the hood needing to have a double latch for regulatory purposes. They don't want the hood to unlatch while driving. I can't think of any car actually have has an automatic opening mechanism for the hood.

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Doesn't need an electric open, but it could use an electric closer. That can be done and still comply with the safety latch design. Just a motor to pull the hood down after it catches the first latch.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I would like that too.

9. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

The frunk closure is the most poorly designed aspect of the car. If you need a "dealer" rep to show you how to properly close an automobile hood, then there is a problem with the design. There should be nothing mystical or mysterious about closing the frunk. It doesn't have to be electric or automated. It should simply close like every other hood out there.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have to agree. I am very careful with it because I was shown how to do it and because I am aware the hood can dent easily. I get very nervous when other people are in the vicinity of the frunk. If my wife or kid goes to get something out of the frunk, they're likely going to slam it back down just as they would with the hood or trunk of any other car.

11. consolidated

consolidated Member

It's not unlike the routine for a Porsche's beer can thin aluminum front trunk, two palms or hold it up in the air around 45° and drop it shut.

12. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I agree too -- the Model S needs a revision to the latch of the frunk. I've had to specifically instruct the local hand car wash (which cleans the cars for the Menlo Park showroom!!) how to do it properly. Twice.

Plus, if you park the car nose in, it's extra difficult to do the two-handed closing maneuver because you're having to get between the car and the wall, bush, fence or whatever you're parked against.

13. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I've opted to push on the front edge right in front of the latch with the palm of one hand. With the fold of the aluminum there, it doesn't deflect as much as when pushing on the flat surface farther up on the car... even when using the two-hand palm method.

I agree it should be reinforced.

14. ddruz

ddruz Member

FWIW: I was instructed by our local SC at time of delivery to use two hands, each hand placed on the far left and right front edges of the frunk.

I specifically asked about using the two hand method right in front by the latch but they said no, the far edges are more reinforced and hands placed there is the preferred method.

15. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hmm, that contradicts the official Tesla video which says to place hands "on either side of the Tesla logo"...

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/walkthrough/playlist#2

16. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I think the important thing is to push with the heel of your hands, right at the front edge. Your finger tips should not be in contact with the hood.

Years ago, I had a Mercedes 280SL with an aluminum hood. In this case the hood hinged at the front of the car, and the latch was at the base of the windshield, making it very difficult to press against the hood without denting it.

17. Edward D

Edward D Member

I have a small dent too. I am very careful too and I don't know how it happened. I can't keep other people from shutting the frunk sometimes. What do we do about repairing a dent? Will Tesla fix it?

18. steve841

steve841 Active Member

As if it is realistic.... When I do open the frunk ... I close it with a folded towel under my hands.

19. bdukov

bdukov Member

dent in frunk

I have scrupulously followed the instructions for closing the frunk, and decided to try one hand (other hand holding groceries) at the top of the Tesla logo, and this is what happened! Really, VERY TEMPERMENTAL!!!!

Attached Files:

20. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

I too have been very careful about following the instructions of my DS, but alas, I now have a small dent near the latch. Seems like a design issue. Does anyone know if Tesla service is repairing these? Is there a redesign effort underway?