Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk spontaneous opening while driving on a highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On January 11th, I was driving my Tesla Model S on the highway at about 120km/h. Out of the blue, the front trunk popped open, folded onto itself and smashed the front window. Without any vision, I managed to reach the emergency lane safely. The tow-truck driver mentioned not having seen this before.

That same day I contacted Tesla Belgium to notify them about this problem. They took 3 weeks to read the computer records and ultimately notified me that an emergency sensor in the front trunk was broken and that it had spontaneously opened the trunk. Furthermore a second safety hatch should have prevented this from being possible but they think this was misaligned. Tesla thinks this was due to a bodywork repair 2 years earlier by Tesla but outsourced to a body shop since Tesla Belgium cannot do any body repairs themselves. Tesla has done all further maintenance checks.

Tesla and the body shop have apparently come to an accord concerning the costs for the repair but send me an email that this does not imply any responsibility or liability on their behalf. No further apologies, compensation or replacement car have been offered. I sincerely concerns me that this manufacturer cannot provide any body work repair and as such any safety guarantee after a single repair. More than 2 months later I am still waiting.

Could I ask for advice how anyone would approach this matter?
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1382.jpeg
    IMG_1382.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Informative