Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk storage vs. Boot for cables/first aid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the frunk for cables etc. Still plenty of room for takeaway in there too ("curry boot"). I rarely require to use cables so they are best out of the way. I wanted to reduce the number of times the bonnet was opened and closed ... I trust myself to do this without damage but there can be issues if "other people" force it down one-handed, rub a heavy shopping bag against the bumper, have house keys in their hand whilst opening/closing. The rear sub-boot is great to have clear because it keeps multiple shopping bags and smaller items from moving around. (I do carry a small battery in case needed for emergency frunk opening should there be a 12v battery failure.)

I initially fitted those "super" gas struts to both my boot and froot so they would fully open when triggered from the screen/fob. Later the boot struts got replaced with Hansshow powered struts but my froot still has supergas struts that opens fully. I did replace the froot latch spring for a lighter strength one to make it easier to close one-handed. Someone warned not to open when windy or the bonnet might fly off!

However the supergas struts and lightweight bonnet lid means you can't slam it closed like conventional bonnets.

Last time I had my car towed the AA man had a heck of a time removing the tow hole cover and the 12v emergency release cable wasn't attached to it - fallen inside somewhere. Hope I don't need it in a hurry :(

However the supergas struts and lightweight bonnet lid means you can't slam it closed like conventional bonnets.

Even with standard struts it's not possible to slam ... that's just old established practice that needs to change! It's a small, light aluminium panel that's not going to slam very well and risks damage/distortion with careless handling.

Reactions: init6
One thought is that you can get at everything in the frunk at any time, as opposed to the trunk when it is loaded. With a full trunk you cannot even get at the lower compartment without first unloading half of the upper trunk.

This is my reasoning for putting everything in the frunk that I need at times that are unrelated to trunk loading, i.e. all car-related technical things like warning triangle and vests, charging cables and adapters, extension cable, tire repair kit, pump, blanket, insect removal spray, trailer hitch, jack pads, etc.

Reactions: Adopado
One thought is that you can get at everything in the frunk at any time, as opposed to the trunk when it is loaded. With a full trunk you cannot even get at the lower compartment without first unloading half of the upper trunk.
As others have said in this thread; I would likely use the frunk a lot more if it was powered or at a minimum had an easier-to-use open & close mechanic. As it stands, it's a bit of a faff to get into and even more so to close properly due to the care required. It's a shame, as it would be so useful to pop things into quickly when reversed into a parking spot.

Reactions: init6
As others have said in this thread; I would likely use the frunk a lot more if it was powered or at a minimum had an easier-to-use open & close mechanic. As it stands, it's a bit of a faff to get into and even more so to close properly due to the care required. It's a shame, as it would be so useful to pop things into quickly when reversed into a parking spot.

Use the Force Fob Luke. :)
Two quick presses on the "bonnet" part of the fob and my bonnet literally flies open (gotta hand close it though)
Two quick presses of the "boot" part of the fob opens or closes the motorised boot lid.
Easy peasy :)