Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk storage vs. Boot for cables/first aid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just collected my new M3 - very happy.

I am wondering where people keep their Type 2 cable/first aid kit.
I top up my car at the supermarket + Home so regularly use the type 2 cable.

Do people store the type2, first aid kits, tyre pumps etc. in the frunk or the in boot lower compartment.

I am inclined to store them in the Frunk, but worried about the aluminium hood if I am going to open and close it 1-2 times a week.
But storing in the lower Boot will be a pain if I've got shopping etc already in the boot making access to the lower storage a little less convenient.

Why do you store your type 2 cables and 1st aid kits?

I put everything I can in the frunk. As you say, getting anything out of the underfloor storage of the boot is a pain if there's anything in the boot. I need to carry a wheelchair in there, and that would make it difficult to access anything at any time. As long as you follow the correct method of closing the frunk, there shouldn't be a problem. Or you could consider the powered frunk kit?

Reactions: andyf1140
I use the frunk mainly, I would advise against opening it with the screen if windy though. When we had the high winds a month or so ago I used the app to open it whilst stood at the front of the car (thankfully). The wind catches it like a sail, if I had opened it from the screen then it would certainly have been damaged if not ripped off completely. Quite possibly have damaged something or someone else in the car park too.
I now put the type 2 in the boot if high winds are forecast👍🏻

I put everything I can in the frunk. As you say, getting anything out of the underfloor storage of the boot is a pain if there's anything in the boot. I need to carry a wheelchair in there, and that would make it difficult to access anything at any time. As long as you follow the correct method of closing the frunk, there shouldn't be a problem. Or you could consider the powered frunk kit?
I'm the opposite. All cables, pumps, first aid kit, hi-vis etc all goes in the underfloor storage in the boot. Not really a hassle to get out what I need even with a boot liner. I don't usually have a lot in the main boot though.
I've found that I forget about the frunk. Packing for a road trip from Surrey to Durham yesterday and my wife asked why I wasn't putting anything in the frunk. I didn't have an answer for that one. Too many years of being pre-conditioned I guess!

I almost never use the type 2 cable, so it stays in the frunk with the other stuff I almost never use (tyre weld, air compressor, emergency triangle, high vis vest etc). I have left the granny charger in the house, I haven't used one in nearly 4 years of EV ownership, so unlikely I ever will.

Having said that, if I did need to use the type 2 cable regularly I'd likely have it in the boot for easier access, the frunk is less convenient. On the one occasion I have used it so far I did just chuck it in the boot, then put it away properly coiled up in the frunk after I got home. I had better things to do while out & about than messing around coiling cables :)

Reactions: andyf1140
I put things I don't use much including for emergencies in the frunk. L2 charger, first aid kit, Jack, jack pads, stands, tool kit, socket kit, bike repair kit, tire repair kit. Exceptions are some electronics I put in the rear cubby by the 12v including jump start battery, portable air compressor (for bikes), 12v to 120v converter, vacuum. I put my tow accessories in the others cubby.

I put things I don't use much including for emergencies in the frunk. L2 charger, first aid kit, Jack, jack pads, stands, tool kit, socket kit, bike repair kit, tire repair kit. Exceptions are some electronics I put in the rear cubby by the 12v including jump start battery, portable air compressor (for bikes), 12v to 120v converter, vacuum. I put my tow accessories in the others cubby.
Where do you keep the kitchen sink? 😊

• Funny
Reactions: Xdama
Where do you keep the kitchen sink? 😊
I rescued a family (couple+FIL+two kids) stranded in a minivan without gas in rural Texas a couple weeks ago. They had been in the sun without gas for about 30 minutes when I drove by. They said roadside assistance was still 90 minutes away and they could not get an Uber.

I took them to the closest gas station to buy and fill up a gas can (and get some ice cream/drinks). I almost added a gas can to my arsenal. :)

Reactions: init6
Some interesting answers. I actually never use my frunk and it stays empty nearly all the time. I did start putting my charging cable in there for a while but the convenience of reversing up to the house, opening the boot to get my work bag out and having the charging cable there ready to plug in beat that out of me.

BUT, I have got the EvOffer electric frunk kit that I need to put on once the weather settles down a bit and I think at that point I will start using the frunk more.

Right now, in the under trunk I've got first aid kit, 3 pin charger, extension lead type stuff and in the boot sits my spare wheel (sigh), work bag, coat and charging cable.