Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk stuck - cannot find manual override or answer in forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched the forums for an answer. My frunk is stuck with charging adapters there. I hear the latch but cannot budge the hood open. Tried pushing down when opening, pulling when opening, etc. Cannot find any manual release underneath. Is this a service call only to get it open? Tried in cold weather. Tried leaving out in the sun on hot day. No change. Try release like 50 times in a row and nothing. Model 3 is 1 year old. Not in snow country or adverse climate (California). Any secrets to getting it to open?

Hey OP, can you be more specific? You should begin by saying if your 12V battery is fine, meaning you can access the car, and use it (being able to shift to D, R, etc). The video above would only help if your battery is dead. But if your battery is fine, and the frunk actuator doesn't make any noise at all, you could also try the 9V battery trick, and see what happens. The other possibility is the actuator is opening, but your hood is not popping up. Is that the case? And if yes, is it at least popping up partially, nor not at all? If at least partially, you could push it up at the same time you activate the actuator, and you should be able to open it. If it doesn't pop up at all, or just partially, the spring is probably broken. You could try a flat trim tool inserted thru the frunk/bumper gap, make upward pressure, and activate the frunk actuator. You should at least pop it up partially. After that, with your fingers under it, activate it a second time, and you should be able to lift it. And yes, it SUCKS that Tesla didn't put a darn manual release there, like every other car, including Porsches with the same frunks. Good luck.

Searched the forums for an answer. My frunk is stuck with charging adapters there. I hear the latch but cannot budge the hood open. Tried pushing down when opening, pulling when opening, etc. Cannot find any manual release underneath. Is this a service call only to get it open? Tried in cold weather. Tried leaving out in the sun on hot day. No change. Try release like 50 times in a row and nothing. Model 3 is 1 year old. Not in snow country or adverse climate (California). Any secrets to getting it to open?
Newest software, it won’t work unless 12v battery is dead, or if car is unlocked it still works. Search and view on YouTube.

I've heard of people having a similar problem when they fill the frunk a bit too much. Stuff inside pushes up on the hood so the release doesn't work. They solve it by having someone push down a bit on the hood while another person presses the "open frunk" button in the car. Maybe you could try that?

Can you share a bulletin number?

Should be listed on your invoice if they performed work to satisfy a bulletin.
Here is all it says:

Concern: Readjust Hood Latch
Inspect and modify underhood storage unit as per bulletin.
Correction: Modify Underhood Storage Unit
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

I remember there was a website will all the bulletins and I found all the ones they addressed. I can't remember where it was.