TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Frunk subwoofer install?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tnagpal, Jun 25, 2014.

1. tnagpal

tnagpal Member

I was wondering if anyone had done a sub install on a standard stereo in the front trunk? Going to have kids in the back, so that is out as a location.

2. green1

green1 Active Member

Problem is that you are effectively locating your subwoofer outside of the vehicle, which makes it loud for people near you, but quiet for you. (the reverse of what you want) The premium sound subwoofer locates in one of the side wells in the trunk, that should work even with kids in the back. If you need a bigger subwoofer than that, I recommend one on quick disconnects that can be removed when the kids are in the car so as to leave room for their seats (and not to damage their hearing.)

3. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I really wish I could stream from my phone to the car and my nifty Boss blue tooth speaker at the same time so I could place the speaker wherever I wanted, depending on driving speed and road noise. the sound system is hard to balance correctly in part because the road noise varies a lot, even with 19's. we have concrete highways here, many of which are warn down to the large noisy aggregate. a little extra boost near, and slightly behind the driver would likely help a lot!

4. tnagpal

tnagpal Member

Definitely don't need anything large. I've just heard that the standard sound system is a bit anemic in the bass. Frankly may not even bother with it, but just daydreaming about things to do when my car is delivered.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

If you don't need anything large, you can put a subwoofer in the same spot the factory would, use the side well in the trunk and it doesn't interfere with the rear facing seats.

6. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

The crossover point for a proper subwoofer is very low, at 150 hertz or lower. At those frequencies, the sound should be completely omnidirectional, and fairly equal in volume throughout the space. Thus, it shouldn't be a problem to put it near the rear facing seats, as green1 suggests. Speakers and frequencies above 150 hertz are a completely different matter.

7. SBerg

SBerg Member

Forgive my ignorance, would this subwoofer in the rear require an amp also?

8. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

Typically, subwoofers have their own amp, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. (This would be a point of argument amongst audio professionals) I agree with green1...put the subwoofer in the same spot the factory does...but have a professional do it.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

If you are installing a subwoofer it will require a crossover/amp to function. This can go almost anywhere though, either with the speaker, or somewhere else. for a small subwoofer it should be no real problem.