Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, maybe said differently, if the 12v battery dies and you were stuck in the frunk, how would you open it? The button doesn’t appear to be electric, but I could be mistaken. If it is electric, where/what is the manual override?

I think there are anti-entrapment releases in trunks of most cars, it could even be a regulation.
Typically a pull cable with a glow handle.

May not apply to rear hatches where the escape would be hop into the back seat.

Regs may be out-dated and not apply to frunks, if they are worded "rear trunk". Although, they should apply to any lockable area on the car that can fit a body.

Old frunks can easily have a kid fit into them.

I see a glow button interior release in my frunk. But I think it's electrical. I've had the frunk bin out a couple times and had to lube the release mechanism once or twice... but I can't recall if there's a mechanical or electrical only actuator for release. I'll have a better look and report back on 2014 model S RWD car.

Reactions: y2kcurt
You are exactly right. Which is why I wonder if the frunk button is the only mechanism to open the frunk. If so, then if battery died the vehicle may be out of compliance, if of course, trunk laws apply to frunks.

Unfortunately not as easy as “get in and test”, as you would first have to drain or disconnect the battery.

You are exactly right. Which is why I wonder if the frunk button is the only mechanism to open the frunk. If so, then if battery died the vehicle may be out of compliance, if of course, trunk laws apply to frunks.

Unfortunately not as easy as “get in and test”, as you would first have to drain or disconnect the battery.
I didn't not think the current frunk would be considered large enough to put someone in to subject to such rules, if you can fit someone small enough in there, they are going to be an infant that will not know how to pull the release handle even if it was there.