Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk tub removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took out the carpet liner in the frunk on my model x and wanted to remove the frunk tub, but there are many bolts and I don't know if they all need to be removed to take out the tub (I'll be explaining in another thread why and what I am doing)...but for now, I just need to know if anyone has taken the tub out and what is the secret.

thanks

tony c

Model X Frunk Liner / Tub removal:

1) Remove the rear trim, nearest the windshield. Just pulls off. Start on one side.
2) Remove one side trim. Pulls off.
3) Remove other side
4) Remove front trim where latch is
5) Remove rubber seal around circumference. Just lifts off.
6) Push front of liner forward, and disconnect two wires for the two lights for the frunk
7) Remove liner. Pulls straight up.
8) Remove 20(!) 10mm bolts from composite tub.
9) Remove tub
IMG_20170803_143424.jpg
IMG_20170803_143352.jpg
IMG_20170803_143331.jpg
IMG_20170803_143319.jpg
IMG_20170803_143052.jpg
IMG_20170803_142601.jpg
IMG_20170803_142511.jpg
IMG_20170803_114046.jpg

My car is non-PUP, correct. The carbon filters are on ALL Model X cars, not just PUP. It's not part of that filter.

It is not possible to buy the original HEPA filter, at least in the USA. Tesla will not sell you one unless your car originally had it.
Tesla did briefly offer the ginormous HEPA filter for sale in their on-line shop (included installation) for non-PUP owners, but has since removed it. Rumor has it, they couldn't keep them in stock, and it's expected that they will offer it again in the near future.

So I can confirm that the frunk removal is really easy. I spent more time reading the write up above than actually removing it. With better tools, I assume this would take less than 5 minutes the next time around. With just a crescent wrench, it took about 30 minutes plus a sore wrist.

I took off the frunk in order to install a HEPA filter I found on Ebay. About $100 after shipping. After the frunk tub is out, you just shove the filter in as far as it goes. It's snug enough that I can't imagine it falling out. No glue or anything necessary, so if I wanted to remove it, it's just pulling it out with no damage whatsoever.

Thanks so much everyone, especially gearchruncher, for their input!

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
So I can confirm that the frunk removal is really easy. I spent more time reading the write up above than actually removing it. With better tools, I assume this would take less than 5 minutes the next time around. With just a crescent wrench, it took about 30 minutes plus a sore wrist.

I took off the frunk in order to install a HEPA filter I found on Ebay. About $100 after shipping. After the frunk tub is out, you just shove the filter in as far as it goes. It's snug enough that I can't imagine it falling out. No glue or anything necessary, so if I wanted to remove it, it's just pulling it out with no damage whatsoever.

Thanks so much everyone, especially gearchruncher, for their input!

Was the ebay filter like an OEM that Tesla used or did someone make it just to fit to size?