Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk tub removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the ebay filter like an OEM that Tesla used or did someone make it just to fit to size?
I bought and installed the E-Bay filter a few weeks ago. It's not OEM but looks the part and fit perfectly. There was someone who complained on Reddit or here about their E-Bay filter getting cut by the service center. From the photos they shared, it appeared to me that the filter split along one of its folds because it couldn't handle the pressure. I haven't checked the filter since installing but I assume it's fine.

Last edited:
This is a photo of the E-Bay filter from the E-Bay posting. It looks exactly like the filter that I installed. Someone posted an image of the same filter where it appeared to split along one of the horizontal seams. From memory, I think the OEM filter did not have these seams and the folds of the filter were spaced out more.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 11.30.30 AM.png

So I looked at that thread, and posted there too. The eBay seller's photo looks like it has a weak spot in the filter right where it split in that Tesla Forum post. If you're bored, you may want to take a look at yours to see if it has the same problem. I bought from the same seller, and received a slightly different design. Both sides now have a crosshatch pattern for extra support.
Filter.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Hsuester
So I looked at that thread, and posted there too. The eBay seller's photo looks like it has a weak spot in the filter right where it split in that Tesla Forum post. If you're bored, you may want to take a look at yours to see if it has the same problem. I bought from the same seller, and received a slightly different design. Both sides now have a crosshatch pattern for extra support.View attachment 248413
From your picture it seems to be without a frame with no clik locks or latches? You just push in in to fit tight?

This is a photo of the E-Bay filter from the E-Bay posting. It looks exactly like the filter that I installed. Someone posted an image of the same filter where it appeared to split along one of the horizontal seams. From memory, I think the OEM filter did not have these seams and the folds of the filter were spaced out more.

View attachment 248361
This image shows the filter being installed backwards. The black felt liner on the rim should be facing the windshield, not toward the image. Just FYI.

Ratatouille frunk invasion:

DB346D26-3D91-4731-9986-FE6A9574924B.jpeg
325BAF77-60BF-42A8-8652-A562C8ECE79A.jpeg

Unbeknownst to us until Spring, we “hosted” rats in our detached unheated garage this past Winter. After chasing them out from under the slab in April, I noticed our Model X smelled near the frunk, and suspected the rats had been crawling inside to seek out battery heat. Boy oh boy did they ever!

Thanks to this informative thread, I just opened up the frunk and found this horror show of fermented ginkgo nuts, leaves, and rat waste packed under the windshield and back to the firewall. After an hour with a shop vac and a hose, she is now pristine! Thankfully none of the wires were chewed upon, and we have had no problems with the car.

Next Winter I’m seeding the garage with traps!

Ratatouille frunk invasion:

Unbeknownst to us until Spring, we “hosted” rats in our detached unheated garage this past Winter. After chasing them out from under the slab in April, I noticed our Model X smelled near the frunk, and suspected the rats had been crawling inside to seek out battery heat. Boy oh boy did they ever!

Thanks to this informative thread, I just opened up the frunk and found this horror show of fermented ginkgo nuts, leaves, and rat waste packed under the windshield and back to the firewall. After an hour with a shop vac and a hose, she is now pristine! Thankfully none of the wires were chewed upon, and we have had no problems with the car.

Next Winter I’m seeding the garage with traps!
Here, it was squirrels, chipmunks and walnuts <sigh>