TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Frunk tub removal

Discussion in 'Model X' started by acaciolo, May 4, 2017.

1. Hsuester

Hsuester Member

#21 Hsuester, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    I bought and installed the E-Bay filter a few weeks ago. It's not OEM but looks the part and fit perfectly. There was someone who complained on Reddit or here about their E-Bay filter getting cut by the service center. From the photos they shared, it appeared to me that the filter split along one of its folds because it couldn't handle the pressure. I haven't checked the filter since installing but I assume it's fine.

2. daktari

daktari Member

Thanks for the write up!
    Does this mean that non PuP cars have no air filtration at all?

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

They all have the charcoal canisters. It doesn't sound like that from the website description of what you get with the HEPA filter added, but several threads have stated they are still there.

4. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

I defer to Shayster since I've never seen the OEM one before. If anyone with the PUP is willing to pull open the frunk, I'd certainly like to see the OEM one.

5. Hsuester

Hsuester Member

This is a photo of the E-Bay filter from the E-Bay posting. It looks exactly like the filter that I installed. Someone posted an image of the same filter where it appeared to split along one of the horizontal seams. From memory, I think the OEM filter did not have these seams and the folds of the filter were spaced out more.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 11.30.30 AM.png

6. Hsuester

Hsuester Member

7. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

So I looked at that thread, and posted there too. The eBay seller's photo looks like it has a weak spot in the filter right where it split in that Tesla Forum post. If you're bored, you may want to take a look at yours to see if it has the same problem. I bought from the same seller, and received a slightly different design. Both sides now have a crosshatch pattern for extra support. Filter.jpg

• Informative x 1
  8. daktari

daktari Member

From your picture it seems to be without a frame with no clik locks or latches? You just push in in to fit tight?

9. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

Yup, just shove it in all the way. It's a tight fit, so I can't see it falling out. Probably will check in a couple months to see.

• Like x 1
  10. eddielee1970

eddielee1970 New Member

Can someone post a dimension of the ebay model X filter? someone posted that HEPA filter for model S was 14" x 27.5" x 1", but HEPA filter is much bigger then what posted.

11. teethdood

teethdood Member

This image shows the filter being installed backwards. The black felt liner on the rim should be facing the windshield, not toward the image. Just FYI.