Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk unexpectedly opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experienced their M3's frunk opening unexpectedly by itself?

I had recently (07 Nov 18) taken my car in for service to get my defective screen replaced and at the same time a software update was applied to the car (Ver 42.4).

Since then, I've had 3 occurrences (within 14hrs) of the frunk unlatching by itself. Two times while parked where I was alerted by my phone that the alarm had been triggered (although no alarm went off) and once while driving!!!

This is becoming very concerning both on theft/vandalism and safety side of things. I'm glad the secondary latch was in place when it occurred on the hwy.

I've reached out to Tesla and they are currently investigating but thought I'd check here with other owners to see if anyone was experiencing the same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Do you remember the software version at the time it happened?

It’s the newest 2018.42.4 , it happened when the AP stopped working for many people this week with that outage thing from Tesla. I pulled over to do a reboot and that’s when my frunk opened automatically. That was the only time it happened, that was Tuesday morning.

Just a quick update regarding the frunk issue.

Tesla had reached out to me shortly after the occurrences to bring the car in for further investigation.
Thankfully they were able to pin point the issue (fault in front harness) in about a day or two and parts were ordered in for the fix.

After about a week of not having the M3, i'm glad to have it back and am confident that their fix has resolved the issue.
Also, super happy about not having the drive the ICE rental anymore. It (Cadi XTS) was a comfortable drive, but i immediately remembered why i went electric. That car was a pig on gas =(

One other thing i'd like to point out was Tesla's service. Previously, i've only had to deal with Tesla regarding delivery specific items and that was a big test of my patience at times. However, these past service appointments have been the absolute opposite experience. I greatly appreciate the initiative and care that Tesla took into reaching out to me to resolve this issue. Apart from waiting for parts to arrive and driving the ICE rental (wish it could have been a M3 at least), the process overall was very smooth and painless. I was initially concerned about communications with the service centre regarding status and other requests, and that was laid to rest when i received frequent updates (via txt msg) on the progress of the car at various stages in the process (from undergoing diagnosis to the car is currently being cleaned and almost ready to pickup). Even when the parts were held up at the border they informed me of the delay. Any questions/requests i had, i simply replied to the txt msg and promptly received a response. I was quite surprised at how efficient this method worked rather than the service centre calling or vice-versa. Communication was immediate and can be addressed at the customer's convenience.

In summary, i'm glad e3Vee is back and am extremely happy with the level of service provided by Tesla. With the influx of M3s, i sure hope they are able to maintain it. Keep up the great work!