Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk unlatched at 130mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP - Glad you are safe, that would be somewhat scary for sure. What was your suspense set at? I am guessing the lowest setting?

I have been above 130 mph in my 2020 MSP and no issue with issue with frunk, TG. I will tell you that I have some concern for aerodynamic downforce at speeds over 120mph. Wondering what the PLAID will use to obtain 200mph?

M

Suspect the latch is at the limit for tolerance, or beyond it, such that the huge aero lifting forces at speed are tugging it juuuusssstttt barely enough to trigger the alert.

Recommend it be adjusted down a hair.

Have hit 140 on our MS's with nary a warning, also on a closed course/safe environment, of course.

Funny/sad how we could regularly be driving such speeds here in the US, but we have a "can you fog a mirror" driver's ed system . . . and wonder why there are so many stupid accidents.

Is it Time for an American Autobahn?

Since it seems like no one else has experienced their frunk lid opening at speed, I would think the first place to start would be to investigate the mechanism and see if the latch or release might be the issue. Next I would check with Tesla to see if they have an activity log around the time of the incident to see if there was an electrical signal for the frunk to open (perhaps the key fob was toggled or a software glitch requested the lid to open).

As for an American Autobahn, we need education and responsible citizens first. We can start by stricter regulations with who is licensed to operate a motor vehicle (it's too easy here), stricter enforcement of the rules, etc but I can't imagine it every happening. Perhaps a Autobahn Lite version, but from what I'm told all that glitters is not gold. Higher speeds could mean higher energy accidents, increased braking distances, increased energy consumption, faster tire/brake wear, and faster road deterioration. Folks I've spoken to who have driven the Autobahn say it's efficient, but it is far from relaxing. You have increased vibrations, noise, and you're anxious that something is going to go wrong...and it'll be over fast.

Reactions: croman
Since it seems like no one else has experienced their frunk lid opening at speed, I would think the first place to start would be to investigate the mechanism and see if the latch or release might be the issue. Next I would check with Tesla to see if they have an activity log around the time of the incident to see if there was an electrical signal for the frunk to open (perhaps the key fob was toggled or a software glitch requested the lid to open).

As for an American Autobahn, we need education and responsible citizens first. We can start by stricter regulations with who is licensed to operate a motor vehicle (it's too easy here), stricter enforcement of the rules, etc but I can't imagine it every happening. Perhaps a Autobahn Lite version, but from what I'm told all that glitters is not gold. Higher speeds could mean higher energy accidents, increased braking distances, increased energy consumption, faster tire/brake wear, and faster road deterioration. Folks I've spoken to who have driven the Autobahn say it's efficient, but it is far from relaxing. You have increased vibrations, noise, and you're anxious that something is going to go wrong...and it'll be over fast.

Think: FSD with American Autobahn . . . and an awful lot changes in what you wrote above.

Even better: dedicated lanes ONLY for FSD equipped cars, not unlike requirements for RVSM airspace where Autopilot use is required . . . .

and this...is partially why Im hesitant for the aftermarket electric funk openers which (in order to work) defeat the manual unlatch process when activated...
It was exactly this reason that I have manual open and close even tho I use my frunk all the time. I had service look at it. It’s working ok. The only thing that anyone can determine is that it wasn’t fully closed. I’ll test it again in the spring when my winters come off. They’re only rated for max 120mph.

Just think if the OP had one of those aftermarket automatic frunk opening kits that you see gaining popularity. Not only would hood have flown open at high speeds and been incredibly dangerous for the occupants of the car and all of those around them but any and all damages would have been the liability of the owner. No way Tesla takes ANY fault for that as heavily as the Frunk latch & retention system has to be modified at a foundational level to make this kit work. You think the vendor or manufacturer of these kits is going to absorb that liability? ROFL. They're just change their name to something else, dissolve their Chinese based subsidiary and form a now one selling the rebranded products like they always do and your phone calls and email will never be replied to. For me, this situation is the exact example of what could go wrong, no matter how rare the possibility, and for me... the added "convenience" of not having to lift or close my hood manually and possibly having a handprint smudge just isn't worth the risk.

Reactions: Alysashley79
Recall announced. Use trunk and frunk, assume they mean frunk, since drivers vision...
Screenshot_20211230-062458.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: All In and El joe
About time !! Nearest service center is 100+ miles away. Seems like inspection could be done by mobile SC. But we will have to take an entire day off to get recall accomplished. Anyone seen the shop manual on adjustment? Use to be an online manual which now has a bad link.

M

About time !! Nearest service center is 100+ miles away. Seems like inspection could be done by mobile SC. But we will have to take an entire day off to get recall accomplished. Anyone seen the shop manual on adjustment? Use to be an online manual which now has a bad link.

M
I was ms able to schedule an appt last night and my only choice was mobile. Which for me doesn’t work because we have so much snow on the ground (over 3’) and while all our teslas plow through just fine I know the tech won’t do it.

Can you make a note in the request section for mobile? They usuallly look about a week in advance and try to accommodate.

I was ms able to schedule an appt last night and my only choice was mobile. Which for me doesn’t work because we have so much snow on the ground (over 3’) and while all our teslas plow through just fine I know the tech won’t do it.

Can you make a note in the request section for mobile? They usuallly look about a week in advance and try to accommodate.

You can request it, and usually if it's something that can be done via mobile (have to imagine this qualifies), they'll comply.