Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frunk versus $#!?%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shopping at local market via our late-2014 Model S. Super busy parking lot. Returned w/ groceries to find what's shown.

My best guess is that the newly abandoned pry tool was used to attempt to pop the frunk (which was empty) and instead unexpectedly levered off the front piece. The frunk remained locked tight. Police officer hadn't seen a scene like this before.

I removed the wiring harness, a screw, and snipped thru the one remaining plastic structural connection. Was able to get a clean front end and drive home. Off to the body shop for what should be a relatively simple repair (i.e., part replacement).

Have thought about a blackvue install before but never pulled the trigger. Would definitely be nice if the on-board cameras archived even a few still images in response to stuff happening to the car. Although in this case I don't believe the car alarm was ever triggered.

Would have helped if the car was backed in??? Sorry for tour lose...

How long before people start boobie-trapping their cars? A nice bear trap over the rear quarter window to help the police catch the thief unless of course they chew their own arm off to get away. ;)

Bear traps in cars and home would be perfect solution. Same for flame throwers. However the idiot will sue car owner for damaging their hands, and at least in CA they will win lawsuit easily. Shoot-to-kill is the only solution in a country where laws don't protect property owners.

My suggestion - get the Arlo 4GLTE wireless cam through Verizon (contact your store, we got the camera for free instead of $249), it'll upload all motion to the cloud. You can also use a Nest cam, connected to the USB, but you'll have to have an older phone plugged in with the hotspot on, and the data can end up being pretty high - but if you're using a Project Fi phone you might be looking at just $10-$20/mo in data charges. Tesla needs DVR features, I'd pay for 4-direction DVR recording of video, just as I'd pay to have front and side cameras or birds-eye camera views for when I'm parking. I've curbed my rims twice now, and thankfully Tesla has replaced/repaired them for free each time, but I don't think that'll last much longer... I think Kenwood and a few other companies have or are coming out with 4GLTE dash cams that constantly upload to the cloud - take that thieves and vandals...

Here in the state of Washington we have taken emphasis off of nonviolent/property crime over a number of years to save money emptying out the jails/prisons. That lead to us becoming NUMBER one in the nation in property crime. We held that spot for years and now we are still in the top 4. You folks in California are seeing results of a number of passed laws. Click on this:
Did California prison reform lead to an increase in crime?

Shopping at local market via our late-2014 Model S. Super busy parking lot. Returned w/ groceries to find what's shown.

My best guess is that the newly abandoned pry tool was used to attempt to pop the frunk (which was empty) and instead unexpectedly levered off the front piece. The frunk remained locked tight. Police officer hadn't seen a scene like this before.

I removed the wiring harness, a screw, and snipped thru the one remaining plastic structural connection. Was able to get a clean front end and drive home. Off to the body shop for what should be a relatively simple repair (i.e., part replacement).

Have thought about a blackvue install before but never pulled the trigger. Would definitely be nice if the on-board cameras archived even a few still images in response to stuff happening to the car. Although in this case I don't believe the car alarm was ever triggered.

View attachment 273190 View attachment 273191
Absolutely amazing! Thank you for the pictures. I just installed BlackVue – cams three days ago. Definitely the way to go.

Reactions: isjka
Here in the state of Washington we have taken emphasis off of nonviolent/property crime over a number of years to save money emptying out the jails/prisons. That lead to us becoming NUMBER one in the nation in property crime. We held that spot for years and now we are still in the top 4. You folks in California are seeing results of a number of passed laws. Click on this:
Did California prison reform lead to an increase in crime?
Sound like the only way to go around this is to add some violence to the property crime. I live in Washington and had to deal with that once - an ex-contractor showed up with a crew and stole a bunch of building materials ($1,500 worth maybe). Sheriff shows up, writes up a report, even managed to pull over the contractor and his crew with the stuff on the back of their trucks, but then tells me "this is a civil dispute, we don't get involved, you need to settle it in civil court". I was surprised asked how was this not theft, got back the "civil dispute" line. So I said, "ok, can you please put that in the report that it's not a crime, so I can show it to the cop who shows up when I hire a crew to take my stuff back". That changed their mind and they charged the guy. Took a year but he paid restitution and did some community service or something like that.

Sheesh, In Texas for the same 'crime', you can shoot them in the back as they leave if they are taking your stuff and it's after dark. Daytime - shoot them in the front and while on your property.

Still have petty theft but no where near as bad as it sounds out west.

ps. I'm not actually advocating shooting anyone ;)

Bear traps in cars and home would be perfect solution. Same for flame throwers. However the idiot will sue car owner for damaging their hands, and at least in CA they will win lawsuit easily. Shoot-to-kill is the only solution in a country where laws don't protect property owners.
In case you are seriously considering, do remember they are more than likely illegal where you live due to considerations for firefighters and other emergency responders who may need to break windows and stick their hand into your car to save your life.

Absolutely amazing! Thank you for the pictures. I just installed BlackVue – cams three days ago. Definitely the way to go.
Unfortunately "the tool" doesn't always work for that. My neighbor had it, when his car got broken into the thieves took off with the dashcams and of course the recording.

On the other hand, even if you had it transmit to the cloud live and could get the pictures, the police likely has too many other things to do. We caught a couple of teenagers throwing a bunch of change at my wife's car on a highway, license plate and all, police took it but it's on the bottom of their priority pile so nothing happened.

• Informative
Reactions: teddytoons
Sound like the only way to go around this is to add some violence to the property crime. I live in Washington and had to deal with that once - an ex-contractor showed up with a crew and stole a bunch of building materials ($1,500 worth maybe). Sheriff shows up, writes up a report, even managed to pull over the contractor and his crew with the stuff on the back of their trucks, but then tells me "this is a civil dispute, we don't get involved, you need to settle it in civil court". I was surprised asked how was this not theft, got back the "civil dispute" line. So I said, "ok, can you please put that in the report that it's not a crime, so I can show it to the cop who shows up when I hire a crew to take my stuff back". That changed their mind and they charged the guy. Took a year but he paid restitution and did some community service or something like that.

I am a Registered Legislative Lobbyist working consumer issues. At the state and national level. Wading through RCW's and proposed bills is tedious and sometimes horrifying. Case in point was our Governor and Legislature working on numerous bills last year wanting to be a "model" for cost savings moving to a "rehabilitate and monitor" (hire more social workers and raise taxes for "services"). Clearly does not work (see California model) as property crime is increasing exponentially. I was affected last year when someone struck my car in a hit and run situation. Short version is a witness got a license number, police interviewed the offender and turned a denial into a confession. Local prosecutor would not file charges. hmmmm Neighborhood meetings I attend to see if people have input a Lobbyist can use or questions about some of the insane proposals --- result in high percentages of attendees having their own stories. Many having cameras showing the culprits (someone asked if there was a camera in the parking lot concerning the OP situation). Videos are there, many with "hoodie" culprits....but even with face exposed police are reluctant to move on "property crime" given where legislation is going. In my town there is a rash of "smash, grab and run --- car window situations". When police are contacted one is directed to "go to our website and fill out forms". (has not happened to me yet, knock on wood ...so this is just fact not sour grapes).

IMHO it will have to be so wide spread (ignore property crime) that the population will finally see the magnitude of the problem and form coalitions to address specific statutes in their state confronting legislators. (sorry....end of rant....I just see so much of this as a Lobbyist and hear from people "Why isn't anyone doing something about this?" hmmmmm the "someone" is YOU....and me.)

I am a Registered Legislative Lobbyist working consumer issues. At the state and national level. Wading through RCW's and proposed bills is tedious and sometimes horrifying. Case in point was our Governor and Legislature working on numerous bills last year wanting to be a "model" for cost savings moving to a "rehabilitate and monitor" (hire more social workers and raise taxes for "services"). Clearly does not work (see California model) as property crime is increasing exponentially. I was affected last year when someone struck my car in a hit and run situation. Short version is a witness got a license number, police interviewed the offender and turned a denial into a confession. Local prosecutor would not file charges. hmmmm Neighborhood meetings I attend to see if people have input a Lobbyist can use or questions about some of the insane proposals --- result in high percentages of attendees having their own stories. Many having cameras showing the culprits (someone asked if there was a camera in the parking lot concerning the OP situation). Videos are there, many with "hoodie" culprits....but even with face exposed police are reluctant to move on "property crime" given where legislation is going. In my town there is a rash of "smash, grab and run --- car window situations". When police are contacted one is directed to "go to our website and fill out forms". (has not happened to me yet, knock on wood ...so this is just fact not sour grapes).

IMHO it will have to be so wide spread (ignore property crime) that the population will finally see the magnitude of the problem and form coalitions to address specific statutes in their state confronting legislators. (sorry....end of rant....I just see so much of this as a Lobbyist and hear from people "Why isn't anyone doing something about this?" hmmmmm the "someone" is YOU....and me.)
If police tells me stealing property is not a crime, but a civil matter, then I will steal it back and continue it being a civil matter. You could take it a step further, if stealing a bumper is not a crime, just go steal someone else's bumper to replace yours - "pass it forward", if you will. Eventually piss off enough people that some politician will get elected on getting tough on property crimes. Welcome to today's democracy, if you are angry and want to change something, you need to get enough people angry with you, because we live in an era of social outrage and that is the only thing that works anymore - common sense arguments are a thing of the past.

Just wanted to point out a small irony from the beginning of this thread. If there is a legitimate problem with parts being stolen for sale on the “black market,” we should be very careful about buying used replacement parts online. Unless you are sure the parts are coming from a salvaged vehicle, there is very real possibility you are contributing to an endless cycle of theft and resale.

Reactions: Got-EMF
Just wanted to point out a small irony from the beginning of this thread. If there is a legitimate problem with parts being stolen for sale on the “black market,” we should be very careful about buying used replacement parts online. Unless you are sure the parts are coming from a salvaged vehicle, there is very real possibility you are contributing to an endless cycle of theft and resale.
Great idea. Now, how exactly do you suggest one makes sure the part came from a salvage vehicle?