Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frunk versus $#!?%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks to me like another vehicle hooked into the front while trying to park.
While going over the curb onto the grass? Maybe you didn't look closely.
FrunkVs.png

PS> If it wasn't for the pry tool left at the scene, if I saw this I would assume the driver parked over the curb and curb caught the bumper when driving away.

Sorry to see but not surprised anymore to hear of these accounts. That might be worse to come back to then a smashed out rear small window (which happened to us). In your case I'm sure it wasn't the frunk they wanted to get into, but from what I've read of other people's accounts of missing bumpers it was your car part.

Auto break-ins and vandalism are at record levels around here. I suspect it's to fund drug habits for quick cash. I don't know when there's going to be a real crack down on this activity and can't believe given the statistic around the bay here that this hasn't been given some area-wide priority. Here's a few recent articles from around the SF area but you can almost search a city name and car break ins and come up with similar stories: SF - SF vehicle break-ins at record levels; police try new approach ; Lost Gatos - Los Gatos: Lock your cars, auto burglars are on the move (yeah like that helps); San Jose - Rash of car break-ins plaguing San Jose residents

And we wonder why our auto insurance will probably go up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RedOctober
Sorry to see but not surprised anymore to hear of these accounts. That might be worse to come back to then a smashed out rear small window (which happened to us). In your case I'm sure it wasn't the frunk they wanted to get into, but from what I've read of other people's accounts of missing bumpers it was your car part.

Auto break-ins and vandalism are at record levels around here. I suspect it's to fund drug habits for quick cash. I don't know when there's going to be a real crack down on this activity and can't believe given the statistic around the bay here that this hasn't been given some area-wide priority. Here's a few recent articles from around the SF area but you can almost search a city name and car break ins and come up with similar stories: SF - SF vehicle break-ins at record levels; police try new approach ; Lost Gatos - Los Gatos: Lock your cars, auto burglars are on the move (yeah like that helps); San Jose - Rash of car break-ins plaguing San Jose residents

And we wonder why our auto insurance will probably go up.
How long before people start boobie-trapping their cars? A nice bear trap over the rear quarter window to help the police catch the thief unless of course they chew their own arm off to get away. ;)

That pry bar is obviously photoshopped into the scene. :)

Nope. Here's the police log for Saturday from Menlo Park. This car was the second item down on the list. While this type of thing seems "out there" or made up, it's not. More likely the perp got interrupted by someone in the parking lot so took off.

https://menlopark.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/7640

I like how MP does their police log. Easy to follow.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
Something sounds fishy about this story. Why would you want to steal the bumper? Its far from the most valuable part of the car, and its a pain to transport. Doesn't make sense that they were trying to get into the frunk either, no way would that cause the bumper to fall off no matter how incompetent you were. Trying to steal the headlight is the most plausible, because those are expensive. But to do it in the middle of a supermarket parking lot in the middle of the day? I doubt it. Lastly, why leave the pry bar?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Something sounds fishy about this story. Why would you want to steal the bumper? Its far from the most valuable part of the car, and its a pain to transport. Doesn't make sense that they were trying to get into the frunk either, no way would that cause the bumper to fall off no matter how incompetent you were. Trying to steal the headlight is the most plausible, because those are expensive. But to do it in the middle of a supermarket parking lot in the middle of the day? I doubt it. Lastly, why leave the pry bar?
Thieves are just not that smart.

Nope. Here's the police log for Saturday from Menlo Park. This car was the second item down on the list. While this type of thing seems "out there" or made up, it's not. More likely the perp got interrupted by someone in the parking lot so took off.

https://menlopark.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/7640
I like how MP does their police log. Easy to follow.
Wow, that is one tough neighborhood ... be careful out there! :cool:

I know how you feel!! The same thing happened to me! But here is what happened: I had parked against the same type of ledge and my front bumper went over the curb. When I was backing out, my low bumper caught the concrete curb and thankfully someone saw what was happening and stopped me before I ripped my whole bumper. My bumper tore on both sides but if the guy hadn’t stopped me I would have lost the whole thing, like you did. The amazing thing is that I didn’t hear anything while I was backing out, and I was going slowly! When I got off the car I saw the damages and it wasn’t pretty :(

It sucks big time! Now, I never go over a concrete curb/ledge. Tesla model S has a pretty low clearance.

Our service center here in Houston has seen quite a few of those!

This is a real bummer. I had a similar occurrence in a Home Depot parking lot- all I know is that a white pickup truck left a long white streak over the left front fender. I parked in the middle of nowhere, 8:30 on a Saturday morning, came out to find the crease. The HD people would not let me see their surveillance video, and the local police would not check unless damage was above $5000. So, I was stuck. Good luck with repairs!