Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk water (and leaf) ingress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks to be my first "real" issue in the car - to be fair it's only a month old!

Bit of a bummer, but at least it's happening to a part of the car well isolated from the rest.

I booked a ranger, but they've rebooked me into a service centre. Which leads me to two questions:

1. Do you reckon this can wait? The lid is getting a bit of condensation on it, but can't see anything that would really cause any long term damage.
2. Any word on the Nottingham service centre? Tesla told me ~December, now ~early 2021. Figure you guys probably have more reasonable advice on whether it's worth waiting (I don't fancy travelling to bham or MK if this is something that can wait!).

Enjoy my woeful pictures:

frunk.jpg

lid.jpg

Wait until you pressure wash the car and see how much suds and water gets underneath the bonnet.

I'm tempted to say not to worry. It's not ideal, but at the same time I don't exactly how know you'd resolve this. The bonnet is not remotely "sealed", but actual rainwater should channel down the sides.

Reactions: n47h4n
Wait until you pressure wash the car and see how much suds and water gets underneath the bonnet.

I'm tempted to say not to worry. It's not ideal, but at the same time I don't exactly how know you'd resolve this. The bonnet is not remotely "sealed", but actual rainwater should channel down the sides.

I'm also inclined not to worry and just leave it until I take the car in for the other niggles it had on delivery. Nothing of note, but a couple of paint errors and an annoying door seal "finger"!

I have the older style frunk with the 'bag hooks' - though I had to fit my own hooks to the slots.
It does seem to be a leaf magnet though, for now, at least, it seems to be staying dry.
I did fit an 'Ali-Express' fine mesh grille to the air inlet to stop leaves falling into it.

I’d guess that would be caused by a gap somewhere in the rubber seal around the “tub”. Can you see any damage or gaps?
No, all looks perfect to me! My guess is somewhere it doesn't make a full contact.

After drying it yesterday and a night of wind/rain... It is completely dry. As far as I can tell there's no danger of permanent damage by a damp frunk, so I'll just add it to the (growing) list of niggles to get sorted when the Nottingham service centre opens!

Reactions: Roy W.