Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRUNK With Door Sill Insert - Who, When and How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early on in the first deliveries of the first dual engine P85D's (Probably Late December 2014) a few pictures
surfaced here on TMC that were interesting.

The pictures showed a special treatment inside the Frunk which appeared to be a plastic surround of the new
(at the time) metal door sill that had Model S engraving.

Below are a few pictures of this that I saved. Does anyone know where these came from? Were they only
on special press release cars? Are they an after-market piece? I suspect they are from Tesla as these were
very early on pictures and no time for the aftermarket to fashion such a piece or order a spare sill plate.

Frunk 2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-frunk.jpg
Frunk Plaque Door Sill in 2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-128-876x535.jpg

Early on in the first deliveries of the first dual engine P85D's (Probably Late December 2014) a few pictures
surfaced here on TMC that were interesting.

The pictures showed a special treatment inside the Frunk which appeared to be a plastic surround of the new
(at the time) metal door sill that had Model S engraving.

Below are a few pictures of this that I saved. Does anyone know where these came from? Were they only
on special press release cars? Are they an after-market piece? I suspect they are from Tesla as these were
very early on pictures and no time for the aftermarket to fashion such a piece or order a spare sill plate.

I had not seen this before, Art. I think you are correct that they must have been produced by Tesla, and based on the fact that cars haven't shipped with them, your guess that they may have been specially made just for press cars is probably a good one.

I have queried a few of the Tesla Vendors like ForMyTesla and Artsci, neither one of them have seen this. ForMyTesla (Gerry) implied the plastic surround would be an expensive bit of molding to create. I then asked my local Tesla salesman to look into this within Tesla. After a few days he responded that no one has ever seen this, and his parts man is drawing blanks. He wonders if it was photo-shopped in... this I doubt.

I could probably make one of these surrounds using black plastic and my router and templates. I would just have to order a sill plate and figure out how to attach it to the trunk liner in such a manner that it could be removed.... perhaps velcro?