Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk won’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for weeks now my frunk will not open. I can hear the electric control move at the latch, but will not open. No manual override! Customer service was notified last fri. 10/21 (after a 45 min. hold) and said Mobil service would call mon.or tue. Not. I called again wed, only a 20 min hold this time! They said they will call soon...... I find this all very disappointing. If I had been at the airport with important contracts in my carry on luggage.......

Does the hood move up or down at all? This happened to me where I tried to open the hood and it partially released, but still was hooked on something. I used the phone app multiple times to release the latch. Try putting some force down on the hood as if to close it and while putting weight down on where the latch is, use the app to open the frunk.

Does the hood move up or down at all? This happened to me where I tried to open the hood and it partially released, but still was hooked on something. I used the phone app multiple times to release the latch. Try putting some force down on the hood as if to close it and while putting weight down on where the latch is, use the app to open the frunk.

How many times?
I've already tried this, but less than a dozen times so far. Carry on size with some of my clothes is currently stuck inside.

No motion at all. Tried the phone app many times. Called mobil support for the fourth time today and they say will be here tomorrow morning! Will post what they do.

Did you learn anything?

Tesla tech did come out the next morning. He had to remove the front left panel ahead of the wheel and reach in with a long tool to release latch. Replaced latch, all good now. Chris is a competent tech and did a good job. Tesla needs to up their game big time with all the new units going live, a big increase in service techs.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Frunk won't open. We realized it a couple weeks ago and thought not a huge deal, fix later, nothing in there anyways.
Welp....washer fluid is low. Life in Western NY in winter months requires washer fluid, the car will be unsafe as soon as empty. Tesla service website says first available appointment is in January! Working on escalating.

Mine has stopped opening. I use it maybe once a month to put Indian takeaway in. Will have to have the service center look at it when t's in for a rock chip in the windshield.

Well! If you're feeding the car good food like that, maybe it's just being selfish and keeping the lid closed until its good and done!

Is it leaving you any leftovers whatsoever?!

Update - still waiting on Telsa rover to call and schedule appointment to repair (day 3) but the good news is I got it open. If yours is opening part way but not releasing entirely you can slide a bent object in there and manually push down the locking mechanism. So, like an allen wrench shape (L), slide in and push down until release. The latch is hinged on the left. Inspecting further, there's a cable in there threaded but sorta dangling loosely (like a bicycle shifter / brake cable with peg on end). If I had to guess whatever is on the other end of that has failed.

Attachments

• 975180.png
    975180.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,535
Update - still waiting on Telsa rover to call and schedule appointment to repair (day 3) but the good news is I got it open. If yours is opening part way but not releasing entirely you can slide a bent object in there and manually push down the locking mechanism. So, like an allen wrench shape (L), slide in and push down until release. The latch is hinged on the left. Inspecting further, there's a cable in there threaded but sorta dangling loosely (like a bicycle shifter / brake cable with peg on end). If I had to guess whatever is on the other end of that has failed.

Thanks for the tip, will try this.
I also figured no big deal that the Frunk wouldn’t open until I remembered about the washer fluid. Can’t wait for Tesla to fix it.

This is now happening to me. Do you have a pic of where you need to slide it in and push down to get it open?

Man... this is the worst timing. Went to get my daughter’s gifts (err, Santa’s) that are in the frunk and it is not opening! Oh no, the worst timing ever! I am In the middle of central Pennsylvania and the nearest Tesla service Station is in Pittsburgh over two hours away! Service station was very nice and offered to let me bring in the car for them to fix it, but it’s Christmas Eve and a 6 hour drive round-trip is not possible!

Anyone found a manual workaround to this problem? My trunk is fully closed and no matter how much jiggling, while pursuing the open button on the app at the same time, does not loosen it up.

Two weeks and frunk won’t open. Not a problem except that I’m out of wiper fluid and the roads here are wet and dirty. Driving is dangerous.
Last week I was given a ranger appointment for tomorrow March 5th. Today I’m told that “my part” didn’t arrive and now I’m rescheduled for next week March 12th. Not very nice.

Thanks bcard53 and biocomp! $200 of frozen meat saved by your technique! I used a larger sized L-shaped allen wrench. My 2018 Model S seemed to have a slightly different slot - using the allen wrench I moved the release lever (which was on the far side of the slot from my perspective) down and to the right. Worked great - thanks again.

Thanks bcard53 and biocomp! $200 of frozen meat saved by your technique! I used a larger sized L-shaped allen wrench. My 2018 Model S seemed to have a slightly different slot - using the allen wrench I moved the release lever (which was on the far side of the slot from my perspective) down and to the right. Worked great - thanks again.

Ranger came to my office today. Right on time! He put his finger in and released something which popped the frunk immediately. He did replace the unit AND filled up my window washer fluid tank. Great service.

I got mine open! The hood would pop open a little but the latch was preventing it from opening all the way. You can take the bolts out of the U shape on the hood. If you reach in you can fill the two bolts holding it onto the hood. I got a mini ratchet set at Lowe’s. The bolt is a torx T40. Using the mini ratchet you can sneak into the opening and with your free hand guide it onto the bolt. Remove both bolts and boom the hood opens. With the hood opened you can easily use your finger to flip the latch and get the U piece out and reattach it to the hood. Still calling service to replace whatever is wrong though. This allows you to get out whatever is stuck in the frunk. In my case it was $100 worth of takeout food for family.